How Do You Solve the Limit of sin(5x)/(x-π) as x Approaches π?

  • Thread starter Thread starter hpthinker
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Limit
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
hpthinker
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



evaluate the limit: Limit x--> [tex]\Pi[/tex]
sin(5x) / x-[tex]\Pi[/tex]

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I get 0/0 since I figure I can't cancel anything out...I think there's another way of solving it I just don't know what way it is...

Thanks for the help.
 
Physics news on Phys.org


Are you familiar with the following limit ?

[tex]\lim_{x \to 0} \frac{sin \left( x \right)}{x} = 1[/tex]
 
Last edited:


Yes so if I multiplied top and bottom by 5. I would get 5sin(x) / 5x - 5 [tex]\pi[/tex] wouldn't that give me something like 5/-5[tex]\pi[/tex] ?
 


hpthinker said:
Yes so if I multiplied top and bottom by 5. I would get 5sin(x) / 5x - 5 [tex]\pi[/tex] wouldn't that give me something like 5/-5[tex]\pi[/tex] ?

I misread your question.

Sorry about that.Why don't you do the following [tex]t = x - \pi[/tex]

Your limit becomes [tex]\lim_{t \to 0} \frac{ sin(5(t- \pi))}{t} = \lim_{t \to 0} \frac{-sin(5t)}{t}[/tex]
 
Last edited: