How Do You Solve the Steady Temperature Distribution for a Semi-Infinite Plate?

In summary, the problem involves a flat plate with a steady temperature distribution and boundary conditions specified at different regions. The heat equation in 2-d is used to solve for the temperature distribution, which is non-dimensionalized and simplified. The boundary conditions are then applied and solved, resulting in a Fourier series solution for the temperature. The remaining challenge is to determine the boundary conditions for the other two piecewise functions and deal with the upper boundary of y being infinite. Assistance is requested for solving this part of the problem.
inferno298

Homework Statement

A flat plate lies in the region:
0<x<35, 0<y<inf

The temperature is steady (not changing with time), and the
boundary conditions are:
T = { x if 0<x<35; y=0
70-x if 35<x<70; y=0
0 if x=0
0 if x=70 }

Enter the temperature at (x = 42, y = 21)

Homework Equations

heat equation in 2-d : (d^2T/dx^2)+(d^2T/dy^2)=0

The Attempt at a Solution

So I non dimensionalized it and solved it down to:
X=A*cos(k*x)+B*cos(k*x)
Y=C*e^(k*y)+D*e^(-k*y)
T=X*Y

So I solved at the boundary conditions, first one being T(x=0)=0
From that its true that A must = 0, so X=B*cos(k*x)
and T = B*cos(k*x)*(C*e^(k*y)+D*e^(-k*y))

Second boundary condition is T(x=70)=0
there fore sin(kx) must be an integer multiple of pi so I don't zero old my whole solution.
Now I have T = (C*e^(k*y)+D*e^(-k*y))+Summation(1->inf)(B*cos(n*pi*x)

So I am having trouble figuring out the boundary conditions for the other two piecewise functions, and dealing with the upper boundary of y being inf. any help would be very appreciated.
I know at the end something will turn into a Fourier series

Physics news on Phys.org
solved it myself, if anyone needs help doing semi finite plates with steady temp, let me know

Related to How Do You Solve the Steady Temperature Distribution for a Semi-Infinite Plate?

1. What is the heat equation?

The heat equation is a mathematical equation that describes the flow of heat in a given system. It is a partial differential equation that relates the change in temperature over time to the rate of heat transfer and thermal conductivity of the material.

2. How is the heat equation used in science?

The heat equation is used in many areas of science, including physics, chemistry, engineering, and meteorology. It is used to model and predict the behavior of heat in various systems, such as heat transfer in materials, heat diffusion in fluids, and temperature changes in the Earth's atmosphere.

3. What are the key assumptions of the heat equation?

The heat equation assumes that the material is homogeneous and isotropic, meaning that its properties do not vary with location or direction. It also assumes that there are no internal heat sources or sinks, and that the system is in a steady state or has a constant temperature boundary condition.

4. How is the heat equation solved?

The heat equation can be solved using various mathematical techniques, such as separation of variables, Fourier series, and numerical methods. The specific method used depends on the boundary conditions and properties of the system being modeled.

5. What are some real-world applications of the heat equation?

The heat equation has many practical applications, including predicting the weather, designing heating and cooling systems, analyzing heat transfer in industrial processes, and understanding the behavior of materials at high temperatures. It is also used in medical imaging techniques, such as MRI, to model the diffusion of heat in tissue.