Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laplace Equation on semi-infinite plate

1. Aug 17, 2009 #1
    Hello all!

I just finished the following problem:

Consider a thin semi-infinite plate of negligible thickness made of an isotropic conductive material. A voltage V0=1V is applied at x=0 on the plate (across the short dimension). At a distance x=d=1cm from the end (x=0) V is measured to be .1V. Find the voltage V(x) at an arbitrary distance x from the end.

In my first attempt I got V(x)=-90*x+1, which is a solution to the Laplace equation in 1D, but does not match the boundary condition at infinity.

I tried the problem again and got V(x)=V0*10^(-x/d), which matches all boundary conditions and is the correct answer. My question is why doesn't this solution satisfy the Laplace equation? Does it have to? Why/why not?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2009 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The electrostatic potential only satisfies Laplace's equation in regions where the charge density is zero. The rest of the time it satisfies Poisson's equation.

4. Aug 17, 2009 #3
    Oh dangit! Cause we're dealing with a conductor gotcha! So I guess the epsilon_0*(ln10)^2*exp(-x/d) would be the charge density as a function of x.

Thanks!

*Maybe I should rename myself "the phorgetful physicist"...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook