How does a C4 explosion work on a molecular level

In summary: BTW:Ammonium nitrate is an explosiveThe detonation of high explosives like nitrogylcerine or TNT propagates with a supersonic shock wave.In summary, the detonator begins the reaction, which results in the release of a ton of energy which causes the gases around it to rapidly expand and accelerate away. The heat from this explosion sets off other nearby molecules, which in turn causes an explosion.
TheWonderer1
I understand the fact that the detonator begins the reaction. The reaction happens many times release a ton of energy which causes the gases around it to rapidly expand and accelerate away (not the best summary). However, what causes the combustion which tends to happen as a consequence of the explosion? I'm talking about the fire that results.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I won't speak to C4 directly, i'll speak to nitroglycerine. I suspect C4 is similar but more stable.

When the TNT molecule is jostled, its three long, unstable arms of NO2 start to wobble. With enough energy, the arms can break off. These NO2 bits are much more happy as N2 and H2O, so they reform as lower energy compounds. So:

1] energy is released as heat.
2] these new compounds are gaseous rather than solid, and take up much more room. So the CO2 and water and other compounds expand - very rapidly.

So, the upshot is
- a change in chemical compounds, resulting in
- the release of several gases that want to expand to their equilibrium pressure, as well as
- the release of a lot of heat which
- is part of the expanding cloud of destruction as well as
- jostling other nearby molecules, setting them off in a chain reaction

That all happens very, very fast. We call this an explosion.There's more you can study, such as:
- the initial shape of TNT
- the final byproducts
- the differences that make C4 far more stable than TNT
but the above is the gist.

Last edited:
Likes Ygggdrasil, jim mcnamara, HAYAO and 2 others
I came across a book many years go, called molecules something.

It picked a hundred or so of the most common/interesting molecules and showed, in such eloquent, succinct terms how they worked.
TNT was one of the ones that stood out. Until then, I'd known simply that an explosion "happened", but it was just magic to me.
This book showed, like I described above, just what happens - and what had been mere mystery now became beautifully clear.

It might actually have been this one, I'll have to check:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521535360/?tag=pfamazon01-20

DaveC426913 said:
These NO2 bits are much more happy as N2 and H2O, so they reform as lower energy compounds.

And where does the hydrogen come from?

Borek said:
And where does the hydrogen come from?
Yes. I was oversimplifying for brevity. Lots to read beyond my humble little post.

The fourth the arm is a methyl group - CH3.

TNT's formula is actually C7H5N3O6 so plenty of Hs in there.

It seems it breaks down into byproducts like so:

2 C7H5N3O6 → 3 N2 + 5 H2O + 7 CO + 7 C
2 C7H5N3O6 → 3 N2 + 5 H2 + 12 CO + 2 C

i.e. gaseous nitrogen, gaseous hydrogen, water vapor, carbon monoxide and carbon (soot).

I guess the gaseous hydrogen and carbon monoxide suggest incomplete combustion.

Last edited:
DaveC426913 said:
- jostling other nearby molecules, setting them off in a chain reaction

That's the way how deflagration works (e.g. explosion of gun powder). The detonation of high explosives like nitrogylcerine or TNT propagates with a supersonic shock wave.

Ammonium nitrate is much easier to think about IMO. You have 4 hydrogen packed around a nitrogen atom. Number two nitrogen is a nitrate molecule with 3 oxygen atoms.

Molecules are shaped by the electron clouds. The electrons do not have exact positions. An electron stays in a molecule because it does not have enough energy to jump the barrier (usually).

You could think of marbles inside of a soup bowl on a table. You can bump the table a little and you do not lose your marbles. If you bump the table hard enough the marble can have enough to momentum to roll over the edge of the soup bowl. The marble has less energy on the floor than it does in the bowl on the table so it stays on the floor. After that the analogy with marbles breaks down a bit. Energy released from one event would have to make the table shake more. In the case explosives the high energy molecules formed from one reaction crash into other molecules and bump outer electrons into higher energy states. Suppose you have a table with bowls and marbles in the back of a truck. Then you slam the trucks break's most of the marbles will end up off the table.

Also partially reacted molecules like OH- pull hydrogen nuclei away from the nitrogen atom. This partial charge transfers, the attracted hydrogen atom is partially positive, the nitrogen it is bonded with is partial negative that makes anything else bonded partial positive. That makes it easier for other electrons to jump the barrier and make a new bond.

1. How does a C4 explosion work?

A C4 explosion works by utilizing a chemical reaction between the explosive compound, RDX, and a plastic binder. When the C4 is detonated, the RDX molecules break apart and release a large amount of energy in the form of heat and gas, causing an explosion.

2. What is the molecular structure of C4?

C4, or Composition 4, is made up of 91% RDX (Cyclotrimethylene Trinitramine) and 9% plastic binder. The RDX molecules are arranged in a lattice structure, with nitrogen and oxygen atoms bonded together in a ring shape. The plastic binder helps to hold the RDX molecules together and make it more stable.

3. How does the explosive compound RDX contribute to the explosion?

RDX is a highly energetic compound, meaning it contains a lot of potential energy that can be released through a chemical reaction. When the RDX molecules are detonated, the nitrogen and oxygen atoms break apart and recombine to form more stable compounds, releasing a large amount of energy in the process.

4. What role does the plastic binder play in a C4 explosion?

The plastic binder in C4 serves two main purposes. First, it helps to bind the RDX molecules together, making the explosive more stable and less likely to accidentally detonate. Second, it acts as a fuel source for the explosion, providing carbon and hydrogen atoms that react with the nitrogen and oxygen atoms from the RDX to produce even more energy.

5. How does the detonation process of C4 differ from other explosives?

The detonation process of C4 differs from other explosives because it is a plastic explosive, meaning it can be molded and shaped into different forms. This makes it easier to handle and transport, as well as more versatile for different types of explosions. Additionally, the explosive reaction in C4 is much faster and more powerful than other explosives, making it a popular choice for military and demolition purposes.