How does a harmonic oscillator model have the same frequency

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulties in understanding the relationship between vibrational frequency, reduced mass, and energy levels. The confusion arises from the observation of various patterns and behaviors in infrared (IR) spectra. The speaker has tried to research and learn about IR from different sources but still struggles to fully comprehend it. One possible explanation is that more complex molecules cannot be accurately modeled using a single harmonic oscillator and other factors such as anharmonicity and rotation-vibrational coupling must be taken into account.
Fruit Water
I'm currently studying IR but my mind is having trouble tying everything together.
While I see that vibrational frequency is determined really by just reduced mass, I can see from the equation that vib equation is the same throughout energy levels and so does energy (bc that basically depends on reduced mass and frequency). However, I've seen IR and there's all sorts of crazy spikes and loops and I'm confused on how that ties it together? Like something can have the same frequency but the spikes will be all different? I've tried reading about IR from different sources and something just isn't clicking. I'd seriously appreciate it if someone can clear this up for me!

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't model a molecule with many atoms by just using a single harmonic oscillator. For something as simple as carbon dioxide you already have to use a model with coupled oscillators. Another problem is anharmonicity (vibrational energy levels not being equally spaced at high excited states) and rotation-vibrational coupling (higher rotational states having a larger expectation value of internuclear distance because of "centrifugal" effect).

What is a harmonic oscillator model?

A harmonic oscillator model is a mathematical model used to describe the motion of a system that experiences a restoring force proportional to its displacement from its equilibrium position. It is commonly used to describe the behavior of simple systems such as springs and pendulums.

What is frequency in a harmonic oscillator model?

The frequency in a harmonic oscillator model refers to the number of cycles or oscillations that the system completes in one unit of time. It is measured in hertz (Hz) and is determined by the mass and stiffness of the system.

How is frequency related to the properties of the system in a harmonic oscillator model?

The frequency in a harmonic oscillator model is directly related to the properties of the system, specifically the mass and stiffness. As the mass increases, the frequency decreases, and as the stiffness increases, the frequency increases.

Why does a harmonic oscillator model have the same frequency?

A harmonic oscillator model has the same frequency because the restoring force in the system is directly proportional to the displacement from equilibrium. This means that the system will always oscillate at the same frequency, regardless of the amplitude of the oscillations.

How is the frequency of a harmonic oscillator model calculated?

The frequency of a harmonic oscillator model can be calculated using the equation f = 1/2π√(k/m), where f is the frequency, k is the stiffness of the system, and m is the mass of the system. This equation is derived from Hooke's Law and Newton's Second Law.