How Does Ampere's Law Calculate Current in a Uniform Magnetic Field?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 10K views
ineedhelp5454
Messages
3
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Along a circular path the magnetic field is measured and is found to be uniform in magnitude and always tangent to the circular path.
If the radius of the path is 0.03 m and B along the path is 1.4e-06 T, use Ampere's law to calculate the magnitude of the conventional current enclosed by the path.

Homework Equations


ampere's law -- integral(B*dl) = mu I

The Attempt at a Solution


i keep getting 3.19e4 A
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello ineedhelp5454,

Welcome to Physics Forums!
ineedhelp5454 said:
i keep getting 3.19e4 A
My answer is different by 5 or so orders of magnitude.

Show us your steps and maybe we can help figure out what's going on.
 
1.5e-6 * 2 * pi * .03 = 2.87e-7 (left half of ampere's equation)
2.87e-7 = 8.85e-12(mu) * I (right half)
I = 3.19e4
 
ineedhelp5454 said:
1.5e-6 * 2 * pi * .03 = 2.87e-7 (left half of ampere's equation)
Is the magnitude of B 1.5 x 10-6 or 1.4 x 10-6 T?
2.87e-7 = 8.85e-12(mu) * I (right half)
I = 3.19e4
You're using the vacuum permittivity constant ε0 = 8.854 x 10-12 F/m, but you need to use the vacuum permeability constant μ0= 4π x 10-7 H/m.

They're not the same thing, but they are related. The speed of light in a vacuum [itex]c = 1/\sqrt{\epsilon_0\mu_0}[/itex]