How does band bending occur in condensed matter physics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of band bending in relation to Condensed Matter Physics and EE. The speaker is curious about how the eigenvalue can change over the length of the crystal and mentions potential explanations such as cutting the crystal into smaller chunks. They also ask for a rigorous theory to explain band bending. Unfortunately, there are no responses at the moment.
Optics_Man
I'm trained in Condensed Matter Physics, and I'm trying to learn EE. The concept of band bending always baffled me a bit. Here's why: The band edge bloch states are delocalized over the whole of the crystal, and have fixed given eigenvalues. How can this eigenvalue change over the length of the crystal? I have heard some hand waving arguments, that we must conceptually cut up the crystal into chunks which are the size of the mean free path of the bloch electrons, and at each chunk we can consider the eigenvalue to change slightly according to the applied field. My question is: What is the rigorous theory which describes band bending?
I look forward to responses!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

What is the theory of band bending?

The theory of band bending is a concept in semiconductor physics that explains the behavior of charge carriers at the interface between two materials with different electronic properties. It describes the change in energy levels at the interface, resulting in a bending of the energy bands and the formation of a built-in electric field.

How does band bending affect the flow of charge carriers?

Band bending creates a built-in electric field that can either enhance or hinder the flow of charge carriers, depending on the direction of the field. For example, in a p-n junction, band bending creates a barrier to the flow of electrons from the n-type material to the p-type material, while allowing holes to flow in the opposite direction.

What factors influence the magnitude of band bending?

The magnitude of band bending is affected by several factors, including the difference in work function between the two materials, the doping concentrations of the materials, and the presence of any external electric fields or surface charges. Additionally, the temperature and the type of material can also influence the degree of band bending.

How does band bending impact the performance of electronic devices?

Band bending plays a crucial role in the performance of electronic devices, particularly in semiconductor devices. For instance, band bending at the interface of a metal and a semiconductor is responsible for the formation of a Schottky barrier, which is essential for the operation of diodes and transistors. It also affects the efficiency and speed of charge transport in devices such as solar cells and LEDs.

What are some applications of the theory of band bending?

The theory of band bending has numerous applications in the field of semiconductor physics and technology. It is used to understand and design electronic devices such as solar cells, LEDs, and transistors. It is also relevant in the study of surface phenomena, such as the adsorption of molecules on semiconductor surfaces. Additionally, it has applications in the development of advanced materials, such as quantum dots and nanowires.