Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How does classical mechanics change if motion was not infinitely differentiable?

1. Mar 7, 2010 #1
    Many "theoretical mechanicians" seem to awesome that motion is a [tex]{C^\infty }[/tex] function(at least that is how I learned it). However, it seems like the postulates of Newtonian/Lagrangian/Hamiltonian/Vakonomic mechanics seem to "work" in the general case where only the motion is a [tex]{C^2}[/tex](ie the acceleration always exists, but the jerk does not).

My question is how classical mechanics would change if we assume the general case where the motion of a particle is only guaranteed to be twice differentiable? Are there any MAJOR changes?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2010 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Good question. My guess is 'no'. The Langevin equation (Brownian motion) results in perfectly reasonable physics.

4. Mar 8, 2010 #3
    Are you talking about "Achilles and the tortoise" and Zeno's paradoxes?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook