How Does Coil Dimension Affect Magnetic Field Strength?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 10K views
gamesandmore
Messages
32
Reaction score
0
A piece of copper wire has a resistance per unit length of 6.40e-3 ohm/m. The wire is wound into a thin, flat coil of many turns that has a radius of 0.190 m. The ends of the wire are connected to a 12.0 V battery. Find the magnetic field strength at the center of the coil.

R/L = 6.40e-3 ohm/m
r = 0.190 m
V = 12.0 V
u0 = 4pi e -7 Tm/A
B = ? T

Equations:
V = IR (I = V/R)
B = u0 * n * I
so B = u0 * n * (V/R)

I don't know where to go from here.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Start by finding L in terms of n. That may be your missing ingredient.
 
Did you post the question exactly?

What I'm thinking is... can't you arbitrarily make the coil longer, keeping the number of turns/unit length the same... but increasing the resistance... thereby lowering the current. And that would lower the magnetic field?

So is there a unique solution to this problem?