How does Faraday's Law apply to a rotating coil in a magnetic field?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
trix312
Messages
6
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A flat square coil of N turrns and area A is rotated at an angular velocity w in a uniform magnetic field of strength B. The rotation axis is perpendicular to the magnetic field direction. The coil is connected to a Galvonometer using suitable slip ring connectors and the total resistance in the coil and meter is R. Show that the detected current is I = -NBAcos(wt) / R

Homework Equations



Fardays 's law of induction *N
I = V/R


The Attempt at a Solution


I get I = NBAwsin(wt) / R
I don't see why i am wrong. The B field and area is uniform. So I only differentiate cos(wt) and divide the emf by R to obtain the current.

Any help or suggestions would be very welcome.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Both answers can be right, depending on the orientation of the coil at time t=0. Since this isn't given in the problem, all you can say is that I ~ Cos[w(t+t0)]. If t0 = 0, you get a Cos solution, if t0=-pi/(2w), you get a Sin solution, and if t0 is something else, you get something in between.