1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservation of energy, bungee jumping

1. Oct 16, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A daring friend of yours talks you into bungee jumping from the Royal Gorge Bridge, in Colorado. Starting from the bridge (at rest), you launch off and fall first to the unstretched length of the bungee, 153 m. The bungee then stretches until you reach the full drop distance of 321 m. For this problem, approximate your mass as 70 kg.
    a. What is the energy stored (or lost) by the bungee?
    b. After you drop the full distance, you bounce back up to 50 m below the launch point. How much energy was lost (to air friction and heat) in the first drop?

2. Relevant equations
    PE=mgh

3. The attempt at a solution
    Part A) mgh = 70*9.8*321 lost
    Part B) 70*9.8*321 - 70*9.8*(321-50)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2015 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello asdfg (keyboard row 2, but you're not the first one !) welcome to PF :smile: !

Nice first post: template and all. Is there a question you need help with ?

4. Oct 16, 2015 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I don't think you've read the question quite right in part a. It doesn't ask what energy was lost by you or the you-Earth system. It asks what energy was gained (or lost if lost) by the bungee cords.

The question could be worded better in part b. It asks for the energy lost to friction etc. during the drop. You have calculated the energy lost over the whole trip, which I would guess is what was intended.

5. Oct 16, 2015 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

@haruspex : could you clarify ? I also interpreted this as "What was the maximum energy stored in the cord" and agreed with keyboardrow2 A) answer...

Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
  6. Oct 16, 2015 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The answer in the OP says "lost".

7. Oct 17, 2015 #6

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I see what you mean. Does make it a rather difficult exercise (for me at least, so probably aslo for keyboard !), unless you make some daring assumptions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted