1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How does my energy saving meter work?

1. Oct 21, 2009 #1
    Hello!

I've just brought an Energy Saving meter, to see how much electricity my household uses and I'm kinda curious as to how it actually works.

It's an efergy standard meter.
    It has a clip that you place on the wire leaving your household meter, which seems to have a magnet in it.

I get that it will be using the magnetic field around the electrical wire but I don't really understand how.

Any help would be appreiciated, as it's been troublesome to find infomation and I'm determined now!
    If this isn't the right spot, inapproprate etc, please let me know!

Cheers

Lot

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2009 #2
    Is this a simple clamp-on-ammeter that clamps on to the hot wire only? If so, it cannot differentiate between real and reactive power. Even so, it could be useful in recording instantaneous amps. Does it integrate, meaning amp-hours? Even more useful. Most useful is a wall-plug device named "Kill-a-Watt" (TR) that differentiates between real and reactive power.
    Bob S

4. Oct 21, 2009 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Is this it? http://www.efergy.com/e2.html

It measures amperage via induction, then assumes a voltage and phase to calculate wattage.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook