1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How does one pick an undergrad thesis and phd subject?

1. Feb 26, 2012 #1
    How do people generally go about choosing a subject to do thesis on in one's last undergraduate year (ie: year long thesis project)?

Should one be picking the desired field for a phd subject as an undergrad or is it okay to "make a mistake" and apply for something different at grad school?

What criteria should people have when choosing a subject, things like future prospects/availability of funding for post-doc work or transferability of skills to non-academic environments (ie: programming/numerical methods)?

Next year I'll be doing my final year of undergrad at a UK institution as an exchange student, and I need to pick an undergrad project/thesis subject. I have something in mind but I'm afraid of biting off more than I can chew for just an undergrad project. Should I contact potential advisers before going to get some sort of recommended reading list for the summer? Or should I wait til arriving in order to meet the advisers first and make the decision then (to avoid an unsavory relationship if I pick one that isn't to my liking)?

My interests, if it helps any: theory/computation in astrophysics, something along the lines of fluid dynamics and/or solar physics. My programming skills are very elementary as of now but I'm making good progress in my numerical methods course this year (scilab/matlab-based).

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2012 #2
    If you already have something in mind for a PhD I would try to go with that area, but it doesn't matter too much - if you have a good reason for going for something else...

Yes.

It's common to provide lists of final year projects in the UK, e.g:

http://www.ph.surrey.ac.uk/intranet/fy_projects?supervisor=&dept=Physics&type=Expt&group=&degree=&course= [Broken]

If at all possible, I think you should do a set project rather than dream something up for yourself, because (a) the lecturer should have made it 'bite size' (b) the lecturer will be really interested in a project he sets (c) you avoid making a 'really big mistake' - like choosing a zany topic through inexperience... you can do that when you have experience and tenure :)

If it's not on the web site, ask for such a list from the secretary of the department (Don't email the lecturers for one! You don't want a reputation for bothering them with trivia...)

If you are *seriously* interested in a project, or two, after reading the list, you might send out a short email enquiry.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  4. Feb 26, 2012 #3
    How does one figure out if a field or subfield is better funded than another?

My exchange university doesn't have a complete or up-to-date list of the subjects available, only HEP subjects which I would feel inclined for, but don't think would be a good idea as I won't be able to take a course in HEP as an undergrad.

Many thanks for the advice, I'll have to ask my uni secretary for a list, I wouldn't have thought asking lecturers directly was a bad idea!

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook