How Does the Chain Rule Apply to Finding Antiderivatives in the Volume Equation?

  • Thread starter Thread starter caljuice
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Antiderivative
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
caljuice
Messages
70
Reaction score
0
The text is giving me steps on how to do it but I don't get what's it is asking.

The equation is (v^-.5)v'=k where v= volume

Then says we consider the chain rule together with elementary antiderivative formulas to determine an antiderivative with respect to t of (v^-.5)v'

I haven't learned integrals yet. I'm exactly sure I'm even looking for. I don't really need an answer but explanation how chain rule can applies here. Since V is a function of t, do I expand v' to v'*dv/dt?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
caljuice said:
The text is giving me steps on how to do it but I don't get what's it is asking.

The equation is (v^-.5)v'=k where v= volume

Then says we consider the chain rule together with elementary antiderivative formulas to determine an antiderivative with respect to t of (v^-.5)v'

I haven't learned integrals yet. I'm exactly sure I'm even looking for. I don't really need an answer but explanation how chain rule can applies here. Since V is a function of t, do I expand v' to v'*dv/dt?

v' already is dv/dt, remember u(v(t))' = u'(v(t))*v'(t)
 
ah okay thanks. So then the antiderivative should be

2(V^.5)=kt+C ?
 
caljuice said:
ah okay thanks. So then the antiderivative should be

2(V^.5)=kt+C ?

That would be correct. If you are ever unsure, just differentiate your answer and see if you get what you started with.