1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocity transformation using the chain rule

1. Jul 15, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    How to obtain the famous formula of velocity transformation using a chain rule.
    I know that there is a straightforward way by dividing ##dx## as a function of ##dx`## and ##dt`## on ##dt## which is also a function of them. But I would rather try using the chain rule.
    2. Relevant equations
    ##x=\gamma(x`+vt`)##
    ##t=\gamma(t`+\frac{v}{c^2}x`)##

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried the following chain rule ##\frac{dx}{dt}=\frac{dx}{dx`}\frac{dx`}{dt`}\frac{dt`}{dt}## so ##u=\frac{dx}{dx`}\frac{dt`}{dt}u`##
    The first term ##\frac{dx}{dx`}=\gamma(1+\frac{v}{u`})##
    The second term ##\frac{dt`}{dt}## requires me to take a derivative of ##t`## with respect to ##t##. Here the equation, ##t=\gamma(t`+\frac{v}{c^2}x`)## will not help because I have to differentiate ##x`## with respect to ##t##.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2017 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your chain rules ignores the fact that it is a differentiation wrt many variables. You need the full chain rule with all partial derivatives. An important thing to keep in mind is when t and t' are used in their capacity as coordinates in the Lorentz transformation and when they are used to refer to acurve parameter.

4. Jul 16, 2017 #3
    Here is another trial;
    ##\frac{dx}{dt}=\frac{\partial x}{\partial x`}\frac{\partial x`}{\partial t}+\frac{\partial x}{\partial t`}\frac{\partial t`}{\partial t}##
    But ##\frac{\partial x`}{\partial t}=\frac{\partial x`}{\partial t`}\frac{\partial t`}{\partial t}##
    So, ##\frac{dx}{dt}=\frac{\partial x}{\partial x`}\frac{\partial x`}{\partial t`}\frac{\partial t`}{\partial t}+\frac{\partial x}{\partial t`}\frac{\partial t`}{\partial t}##
    Substitute ##u## for ##\frac{dx}{dt}## and ##u`## for ##\frac{\partial x`}{\partial t`}##
    Also, from the two equation of LT ##\frac{\partial x}{\partial x`}=\gamma##, ##\frac{\partial t`}{\partial t}=\frac{1}{\gamma}##, ##\frac{\partial x}{\partial t`}=v\gamma## and ##\frac{\partial t`}{\partial t}=\frac{1}{\gamma}## (here, I did not use the inverse LT to substitute for ##\frac{\partial t`}{\partial t}##, instead I used the main transformation)
    yields; ##u=\gamma u`\frac{1}{\gamma}+v\gamma\frac{1}{\gamma}=u`+v## This is non-relativistic transformation.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  5. Jul 17, 2017 #4
    From some help, I found a way out.
    First the velocity should be represented by the total derivatives not partial derivatives.
    ##\frac{dx}{dt}=\frac{dx}{dx`}\frac{dx`}{dt`}\frac{d t`}{dt}##
    Now ##\frac{dx}{dx`}## and ##\frac{d t`}{dt}## are expressed in term of partial derivatives;
    ##\frac{dx}{dx`}=\frac{\partial x}{\partial x`}\frac{\partial x`}{\partial x`}+\frac{\partial x}{\partial t`}\frac{\partial t`}{\partial x`}=\frac{\partial x}{\partial x`}+\frac{\partial x}{\partial t`}\frac{\partial t`}{\partial x`}##
    ##\frac{dt`}{dt}=\frac{\partial t`}{\partial t}\frac{\partial t}{\partial t}+\frac{\partial t`}{\partial x}\frac{\partial x}{\partial t}=\frac{\partial t`}{\partial t}+\frac{\partial t`}{\partial x}\frac{\partial x}{\partial t}##
    Replacing; ##\frac{dx}{dt}## and ##\frac{dx`}{dt`}## by ##u## and ##u`##, and the other partial derivatives from Lorentz Transformation yields the proper result.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted