How does the Gamow window change for different reactions?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of Gamow energy and its relationship to the Gamow window in fusion reactions. It is mentioned that a higher Gamow energy peak results in a smaller Gamow window and the width of the window is influenced by factors such as the required energy for the reaction and the temperature at which the reaction occurs. The measurement of the width is not clearly defined, but it is noted that Wikipedia has formulas for calculating it. The conversation also acknowledges that understanding these formulas may be difficult for those without a strong understanding of math.
TheCelt
I am learning about the gamow energy and saw a graph explaining the gamow peak - but i am not quite sure i understand the relationship about the overwall gamow window.

From what i think i understand so far for fusion if the gamow energy peak is greater the gamow window becomes smaller is this correct? Not quite sure what drives the width of the gamow window for something like proton-proton or the deuteron-proton reaction.Obviously one has a higher gamow peak but i am not sure what changes about the rest of the area under the curve.

Physics news on Phys.org
How do you measure the width? Width over some threshold? Width at half the maximum? Something else?
If the required energy for the reaction is higher you get much lower reaction rates at equal temperature - but typically these reactions will happen at higher temperatures where the thermal spectrum is broader (doesn't change that much with smaller changes in the energy).

I don't know how its measured I just saw the graph looking like a bell curve around the peak. Nothing else was really said about what happens to the width at different peak levels. So i don't have much insight to give with regards to what width is measured with here, i was curious to know the relationship was between the peak and the drop off around it.

Well we don't learn these formulas at high school its beyond my understand to interpret by just pure math at this stage...

1. How does the Gamow window change for different reactions?

The Gamow window is a concept in nuclear physics that describes the energy range within which a nuclear reaction can occur. It is based on the Gamow factor, which takes into account the energy of the particles involved in the reaction and the probability of them overcoming the Coulomb barrier. The Gamow window is different for each reaction and depends on the specific energies and charges of the particles involved.

2. What factors affect the size of the Gamow window?

The size of the Gamow window is primarily affected by the energy of the particles involved in the reaction and the strength of the Coulomb barrier. Other factors that can influence the size of the Gamow window include the nuclear spin, the angular momentum of the particles, and the presence of resonances or other nuclear structures.

3. How does the Gamow window affect the rate of a nuclear reaction?

The Gamow window plays a crucial role in determining the rate of a nuclear reaction. If the energy of the particles involved is within the Gamow window, the reaction is more likely to occur and at a faster rate. However, if the energy is outside of the Gamow window, the reaction may not occur at all or may occur at a much slower rate.

4. Can the Gamow window be manipulated or controlled?

The size of the Gamow window is determined by the fundamental properties of the particles involved in the reaction and cannot be directly manipulated or controlled. However, scientists can indirectly influence the Gamow window by adjusting the energy of the particles through accelerators or by changing the properties of the particles through nuclear reactions.

5. How does the Gamow window impact nuclear reactions in stars?

The Gamow window is crucial for understanding the nuclear reactions that occur in stars. The energy range of the Gamow window determines which reactions can occur and at what rate, ultimately impacting the fusion processes that power stars. The size of the Gamow window also changes as a star evolves, affecting the types of reactions that can occur and the lifetime of the star.