How does the LHC send same charged particles against each other?

In summary, the LHC sends same-charged particles in opposite directions using separate pipes and magnets. The LHCb is a fixed-target experiment that sees a lower number of B mesons than the other LHC experiments.
docnet
Gold Member
How does LHC send same-charged particles in opposite directions?

Physics news on Phys.org
At the LHC the counter propagating beams are transported in separate beam pipes before their paths are overlapped using magnets to cause particle collisions.

Likes vanhees71 and docnet
One beam has protons injected clockwise, and the other has them injected counterclockwise.

Likes vanhees71 and docnet
I guess people already answered, but these kind of Qs can also be helped with visualization.

Here you can see the cross section of the pipe:

As also said in the comments, the bottom two pipes are where the protons travel through inside the magnets. The one is for protons moving on the clockwise and the other for the counter-clockwise direction. The top tube is for cooling down the magnets with He. We don't want collisions of protons to happen where there is nothing to look at them (although that is not always perfect).
At points where we collide protons we built the detectos such as ALICE, ATLAS and CMS. There are the points where the two beams are brought to meet each other, which would look like this sketch:
http://lhc-machine-outreach.web.cern.ch/collisions.htm

• Informative
Likes docnet, fresh_42 and Milsomonk
ChrisVer said:
At points where we collide protons we built the detectos such as ALICE, ATLAS and CMS.
... and LHCb, to complete the list of the big detectors.

mfb said:
... and LHCb, to complete the list of the big detectors.

well yes, maybe I should rephrase it to "we collide protons with each other". Because the LHCb is a fixed target experiment (so the beam protons are not brought together).

• Skeptical
Likes mfb and docnet
With the same charges, wouldn't the beams be bent in two different circles by the magnetic field?

Meir Achuz said:
With the same charges, wouldn't the beams be bent in two different circles by the magnetic field?
They would if they were traveling through the same magnet, but they are not. As is shown in the picture handily posted by @ChrisVer, the counter propagating beams are traveling in separate beam pipes, with separate magnets.

Likes PeroK
ChrisVer said:
Because the LHCb is a fixed target experiment (so the beam protons are not brought together).
Generally LHCb sees collisions of whatever the LHC is circulation (p-p, Pb-Pb, etc.) but at a lower luminosity than what ATLAS and CMS see.

Occasionally it operates in a fixed target mode where a small amount of a noble gas is injected at the collision point. This gas serves as a fixed target.

LHCb is not a fixed target experiment though there are ideas to use it in a fixed-target mode in the future.

Likes vanhees71
LHCb looks at colliding beams just like the other experiments. Yes, they have SMOG which allows looking at fixed-target collisions once in a while but that's a very rare running method.

Most B mesons produced in the symmetric collisions fly away close to the beam axis, so LHCb is built in that direction. They get ~30% of the B mesons while covering way less than 30% of the space around the collisions. Building another LHCb in the other direction would double that but would also increase the cost a lot.

Likes vanhees71
I agree that I was wrong here

ChrisVer said:
well yes, maybe I should rephrase it to "we collide protons with each other". Because the LHCb is a fixed target experiment (so the beam protons are not brought together).

and I am sorry (especially to anyone associated with LHCb). I don't know but it was like a false idea that had gotten into my mind after a talk, and I believed it as a complete fact.

Likes websterling

1. How does the LHC accelerate particles?

The LHC uses a series of superconducting magnets to accelerate particles to nearly the speed of light. These magnets create a strong magnetic field that guides the particles around the circular accelerator.

2. What type of particles are collided in the LHC?

The LHC collides protons, which are positively charged particles, against each other. These collisions allow scientists to study the fundamental building blocks of matter and the forces that govern them.

3. How are the particles directed to collide?

The LHC uses a series of focusing and steering magnets to direct the particles towards each other. These magnets are carefully controlled to ensure that the particles collide at specific points within the accelerator.

4. How does the LHC prevent the particles from escaping?

The LHC is designed with a vacuum system that removes all air from the accelerator, creating a near-perfect vacuum. This prevents the particles from colliding with air molecules and losing energy.

5. What happens to the particles after they collide?

When the particles collide, they release a tremendous amount of energy, which is converted into new particles. These new particles are then studied by detectors surrounding the collision points to gather information about the fundamental laws of nature.