How Does Water Content in Ice Affect Its Latent Heat of Fusion Value?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
mopar969
Messages
200
Reaction score
0
We did a calorimeter experiment in my school however the teacher warned us that the latent heat of fusion of ice value will be different from the standard value because the ice has water in it and because the ice melts little before actually doing the experiment. However my question is which way should the number be different should it be a larger or smaller value? I got a smaller value in my experiment but I do not know how to explain why it is smaller.

I think it should be smaller because if some of the ice is already melted then less energy is necessary to melt the ice therefore a smaller number. Please make sure my logic is correct though?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
To me your logic is right. However I'm still a student.