How does water escape the pot?

In summary, the conversation discusses a unique phenomenon that occurred while cleaning the kitchen. A pot filled with water overflowed, but a pot scrubber hanging over the side continued to drip water until it eventually stopped. The conversation ends with questions about how this process works and how to explain the delay in finishing the cleaning. One possible explanation given is that this is similar to a wick syphon, where surface tension acts as the tube.
xtempore
I was cleaning up the kitchen, and there was a large pot that had been filled with water to soak in the sink. A rectangular nylon pot scrubber was hanging over the side of the pot, about 2/3 in the pot and 1/3 hanging out.

As I ran the tap, the pot filled up and overflowed, but even after the water had levelled out a steady stream of water continued to flow from the outside corner of the pot-scrubber. Eventually, the stream slowed, then became a steady drip, and after several minutes it completely stopped, by which time the water level in the pot was around 20mm below the top edge, and roughly level with the corner of the pot scrubber from where the water had been dripping.

So, I have two questions...
  1. How does this work?
  2. How do I explain to my wife why I haven't finished cleaning the kitchen?

Likes OmCheeto
Physics news on Phys.org
1 Wick syphon .

2 Unsolvable problem .

Likes davenn
interesting - so a syphon without a tube? where the surface tension is the tube? I wonder if you could calculate the surface tension based on the final water level?

1. How does water escape from a pot?

Water escapes from a pot through evaporation, which is the process of liquid water turning into water vapor. This occurs when the water is heated and the molecules gain enough energy to break free from the liquid and enter the air as vapor.

2. What causes water to escape from a pot?

The main cause of water escaping from a pot is the heat source underneath the pot. When the pot is heated, the molecules in the water gain energy and move more quickly, which causes them to escape from the liquid and enter the air as vapor.

3. How long does it take for water to escape from a pot?

The amount of time it takes for water to escape from a pot depends on several factors, including the temperature of the heat source, the amount of water in the pot, and the size and shape of the pot. Generally, it takes a few minutes for water to start escaping from a pot.

4. Can the rate of water escaping from a pot be controlled?

Yes, the rate of water escaping from a pot can be controlled by adjusting the heat source. Higher heat will cause the water to evaporate more quickly, while lower heat will slow down the process. Covering the pot can also help control the rate of evaporation.

5. Is the process of water escaping from a pot the same as boiling?

No, the process of water escaping from a pot is not the same as boiling. Boiling is the process of liquid water turning into water vapor within the pot itself, while the water escaping from a pot is the water vapor escaping into the surrounding air.