How dowsing works to locate water source?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of dowsing and its effectiveness in locating water sources. Some members share their personal experiences and beliefs, while others express skepticism and cite scientific evidence against it. The conversation ends with a request for moderation and a strong statement supporting the authenticity of dowsing.
oem7110
Referring to following video, does anyone have any suggestions on how dowsing works to locate water source?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi there

I don't know how it works ... all I know is that it does lol

back in the 70's thro to the end of the '80's I worked for a telecommunications company
I used to with ease be able to find buried telephone cables that were 2 - 3 ft deep. using the exact same methods as in your video link using either a single piece of "L" shaped copper wire or even 2 of them, it didnt really matter.
It NEVER failed, the cable was always where located. A number of my fellow workmates would/could also do the same.

I have never seen a scientific explanation, I don't even know if there is one ?

This is sort of a borderline subject on this forum ... let's just wait and see what the moderators have to say :)

cheers
Dave

I'm pretty sure it's entirely bogus. You might have a better chance at finding water by putting a compass under a pyramid covered with q bracelets.

I'll quote you wikipedia for what that's worth:
Dowsing appears to have arisen in the context of Renaissance magic in Germany, and it remains popular among believers in Forteana or radiesthesia[5] although there is no accepted scientific rationale behind the concept and no scientific evidence that it is effective.

Personally, I would think that if such a thing were possible, someone would have proven why it works by now, or, at least proven that it does work.

QuarkCharmer said:
I'm pretty sure it's entirely bogus. You might have a better chance at finding water by putting a compass under a pyramid covered with q bracelets.

definately NOT bogus mate I will vouch for its authenticity till the day I die
It really really works!

D

Thread closed pending moderation.

1. What is dowsing and how does it work?

Dowsing is a form of divination or a method used to locate underground sources of water. It involves using a dowsing rod or other tool to locate water by tapping into the energy fields and vibrations of the earth.

2. Is dowsing scientifically proven to work?

There is no scientific evidence to support the effectiveness of dowsing. It is considered a pseudoscience and is not accepted by the scientific community as a valid method for locating water sources.

3. How accurate is dowsing in locating water sources?

The accuracy of dowsing in locating water sources is highly debated and varies greatly. Some dowsers claim to have a high success rate, while others are not successful at all. There are many factors that can affect the accuracy of dowsing, such as the skill of the dowser, the type of dowsing tool used, and the environment.

4. Can anyone learn how to dowse?

There is no scientific proof that dowsing can be learned or taught. Some people believe that it is an innate ability, while others believe it can be developed and improved with practice. It is important to note that dowsing is not a reliable or scientifically proven method for locating water sources.

5. Are there any other methods for locating water sources?

Yes, there are many proven scientific methods for locating water sources, such as geological surveys, groundwater exploration techniques, and remote sensing technologies. These methods are based on scientific principles and have a higher success rate compared to dowsing.