How far can a modern arrow penetrate through steel?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter jetwaterluffy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Steel
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 6K views
jetwaterluffy
Messages
227
Reaction score
0
Someone told me that an arrow shot from a compound bow can go through a reinforced steel door. I just want to find out how true that is. How far can an arrow shot by an athlete with a modern bow specially prepared for them shoot through steel? Also, how far can they shoot through wood, or rock?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sceptical. But perhaps for a very thin sheet of steel. By energy conservation, it means that the work done by the athlete on the bow would be sufficient to penetrate the steel.
 
I don't know about a reinforced steel door now, especially with a regular broadhead. Going through steel drums/barrels aint as much of a problem, but you arent talking about very much thickness there.