How Far Does a Charged Particle Travel in an Electric Field?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
floridianfisher
Messages
27
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A 1-gram particle with a charge of 1 milliC starts from rest in a uniform electric field of magnitude E = 10 V/m. How
far (in m) does the particle travel in 2 seconds?
I know the answere is 10 but I don't know how to find it


Homework Equations


PE/q=-Ex




The Attempt at a Solution


I converted all units but I have PE and change in x left and I am stumped can anyone help

I have PE/.oo1= -10* x

I know the answere is 10m already but I can't figure out how
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Don't use PE. Use force F=E*q. Then use F=ma to find the constant acceleration. Now use kinematics to find the distance travelled. I don't think the answer is 10m.