How far (physical distance) has work taken you?

• Thread starter George Jones
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary: People grow up in one place?I live 500 miles, 585 miles, and 1365 miles from where I grew up.I tried to minimize the number of situations like this by specifying high school. This also doesn't work for my wife; she finished high school 9000 km (5600 miles) from where she started it.Although I once lived on the opposite coast (about 2600 miles) from my birthplace, I am now back to being only 8 miles from my first home.To there and back - like Bilbo.Does it count if it is your husband's work that takes you places? We move a lot, at the moment
Office_Shredder said:
How can all those stores possibly be supported by the population? It just seems unreal
It is the largest town in a rural area that draws traffic from a radius of 25-50 miles. Once WalMart has moved in and killed off the marginal retailers in a town, it becomes a magnet for people who need the goods formerly offered by the defunct business. Then, all the rent-to-own places show up to cater to WalMart employees, and the employees of the fast-food places that follow WalMart into town. It's very sickening to watch a vibrant little town die this way.

Physics news on Phys.org
South Central to Midtown, Kansas City. Frankly I love living in cities, everything has it's own life and energy, it really is a concrete jungle home to the human animal.

The only problem is that stargazing sucks in cities. I'm looking at a job that will take me to Montana.

Office_Shredder said:
You have to keep this hush-hush, as it's kind of a classified thing, but I'm posting from one of the moons of Jupiter
Even better.

Surfing the hydrocarbon seas on Titan. :biggrin:

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/454/titansurfaceletsgosurficm4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I've read the hydrocarbon seas have a consistancy more along the lines of thick pudding then water.

Sounds like that sucks for surfing.

On Titan, you can only hang two.

Ivan Seeking said:
On Titan, you can only hang two.
If you're a native, you only have two.

turbo-1 said:
City!? :yuck: I have to drive at least 15 miles to get to a town of ~7000, and I HATE going there.

Yes we're pretty remote as well. One thing worth mentioning here is that we couldn't live today as we did when we first moved here. I was willing to do whatever it took to make a go of it, but at our ages this would no longer be acceptable.

What changed everything was the internet. This allows me to run a business from a place where it would not have possible twenty years ago.

As for the longest trip made for work; near Lima, Peru.

Last edited: