Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How far (physical distance!) has work taken you?

1. Dec 6, 2007 #1

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In another thread Jimmy Snyder asked someone:

Since everyone knows the answer, I decided to start a new thread about it.

Work takes people lots of different places.

How far do you live (short work-related jaunts don't count) from where you grew up (say, went to high school)?

Right now I live about 1500 km (930 miles) from Ingersoll Ontario, but I have lived both farther and closer since joining the working world. Farthest: about 3200 km (2000 miles).

Last edited: Dec 6, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2007 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

~7800 mi west - work to Taipei, TW

~4700 mi east - work to Sofia, BG and Bucharest, RO

Missed a chance to go to Russia, but hopefully someday - and China (PRC) too!

I live ~1840 mi from where I spent my teenage years, but I'm ~10400 mi from where I was born.

4. Dec 6, 2007 #3

turbo

Gold Member

I'm a real home-body. Always lived in Maine, within about 50 miles of where I was born, though I've had "second homes" for weeks at a time in Orange TX, Dothan AL, Paducah KY, Keyser WV, Camden AL, etc. All near pulp and paper mills where I did consulting work.

5. Dec 6, 2007 #4
    Born - NY, NY
    High School - Haddon Heights, NJ, about 90 miles away from NYC
    Currently Mt. Holly, NJ, about 20 miles from High School, 75 miles from NYC
    I haven't gotten far. But I worked in Japan, roughly 8000 miles from here. I think Cape Leeuwin, Australia is the furthest landfall from here at around 11,750 miles and I hope to visit it someday.

6. Dec 6, 2007 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Currently, I only live about 350 miles from where I grew up. The furthest I've lived is about 625 miles from there.

7. Dec 6, 2007 #6

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

According to google Earth I live an astonishing 0.46 miles from where I grew up. I guess that doesn't count.

8. Dec 6, 2007 #7

turbo

Gold Member

Maybe if you expressed it in mm, it would seem farther. :rolleyes:

9. Dec 6, 2007 #8
    I'll give it a shot. According to google Earth I live an astonishing 0.46 mm from where I grew up. Nope, seems closer.

10. Dec 6, 2007 #9

jim mcnamara

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Grew up near Washington DC. Spent most of my adult life on the Navajo Reservation (AZ section) 1790 miles and the Santo Domingo Reservation in New Mexico - 1650 miles.

Did research stints in Panama 2070 miles, and Peru, 3550 miles from home. Worked as a Botanist for the USDA early on and was temporarily stationed in a lot of the 48 contiguous states, usually for about a month or so per location. So, more of a pick-your-distance thing applies here. From 2090 miles in Spokane, Washington to about 120 miles in Cape May, New Jersey.

11. Dec 6, 2007 #10

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I currently live about 180 miles from where I grew up. It's pretty far in English terms!

12. Dec 6, 2007 #11

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

How about a single trip.

I flew from Düsseldorf (after spending a week in Germany where I did a 1600 km round trip from Düsseldorf to Karlsruhe to München back to Düsselforf with a couple of intermediate destinations) to home on a Friday, then flew out that Saturday to Tokyo, and spent a week in Japan. I woke up in the hotel in Tokyo Moday morning at 0300 and wondered why my bedroom was different. Took me a few moments to realize I was in a hotel in Japan.

From Düsseldorf to Tokyo is only 5800 mi, but since I had to back home first, that trip was 10500 mi.

Talk about jet lag.

13. Dec 6, 2007 #12

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

People grow up in one place?

I live 500 miles, 585 miles, and 1365 miles from where I grew up.

14. Dec 6, 2007 #13

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I live about 1000 miles from my childhood home.

15. Dec 6, 2007 #14

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Although I once lived on the opposite coast (about 2600 miles) from my birthplace, I am now back to being only 8 miles from my first home.

16. Dec 6, 2007 #15

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I have never lived (except temporarily) more than about 12 miles from my childhood home(s).

But, living north of most of you, if I measure the distance in degrees longitude, it's larger.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2007
  17. Dec 6, 2007 #16

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I tried to minimize the number of situations like this by specifying high school. This also doesn't work for my wife; she finished high school 9000 km (5600 miles) from where she started it.

To there and back - like Bilbo.

18. Dec 6, 2007 #17

fuzzyfelt

Gold Member

Does it count if it is your husband's work that takes you places? We move a lot, at the moment we live roughly 10,500 miles from home, I think.

19. Dec 6, 2007 #18

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

One comment here: One can either live where one chooses and find a way to work, or one can do what one wants and go where their work takes them. Unless you are very lucky, in my experience this is often a fundamental life choice, and we chose to do the former. We moved to Oregon because it is where we wanted to live; it was a way of life that we wanted. We let work and education [in my case] follow.

20. Dec 6, 2007 #19
    I miss downtown Seattle, twas a 5 minute walking commute for me, now i live in Kennewick Wa and work in Richland and have to drive a whopping 10 minutes to work! :tongue:

21. Dec 6, 2007 #20

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I get up and walk all the way to work before I even make my coffee - all three hundred feet. Sometimes the deer are still sleeping by my office. :tongue:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?