How Fast is an Electron Moving Relative to the Speed of Light?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 31K views
plstevens
Messages
18
Reaction score
0
The mass of an electron is 9.11*10^-31 kg. If the de Broglie wavelength for an electron in an hydrogen atom is 3.31*10^-10 m, how fast is the electron moving relative to the speed of light? The speed of light is 3.00*10^8 m/s.

here's what I did: i solved for velocity=6.626*10^-34J/(9.11*10^-31kg)(3.31*10^-10)
v=2.1974*10^-74
and i tried to gain the percent by dividing the speed of light by velocity.

where did i go wrong?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Your calculation is wrong. Don't just blindly do calculations. Think...does the number your calculator has spewed out actually make any sense? When it's something ridiculous like 10^-74 m/s, the answer is emphatically NO. Kind of slow for a particle, don't you think?

I get v = (0.00732)c
 
plstevens said:
The mass of an electron is 9.11*10^-31 kg. If the de Broglie wavelength for an electron in an hydrogen atom is 3.31*10^-10 m, how fast is the electron moving relative to the speed of light? The speed of light is 3.00*10^8 m/s.

here's what I did: i solved for velocity=6.626*10^-34J/(9.11*10^-31kg)(3.31*10^-10)
v=2.1974*10^-74
and i tried to gain the percent by dividing the speed of light by velocity.

where did i go wrong?


how did u calculate... watch the exponents first...

the magnitude is 10^7 m/s...

[tex]\frac{6}{9\times3}\times\frac{10^{-34}}{10^{-31}\times10^{-10}}\approx\frac{2}{9}10^7 m/s[/tex]
this suggest us that it is better to treat the electron relativistically if we want to penetrate deep in its properties...
regards
marco
 
so hows do i get the percentage here's what I'm doing: 3.00*10^8 m/s /100 = 0.00732/x. x=2.4*10^8, but i know this isn't right so, what shall i do?
 
I'm not sure what percentage you are talking about, since it's not mentioned in the original post.

For the velocity of the particle, I get:

[tex]v = 2.197 \times 10^6 \ \ \ \frac{\textrm{m}}{\textrm{s}}[/tex]

The question asks how fast the particle is moving relative to the speed of light. Well, their ratio is

[tex]\frac{v}{c} = \frac{2.197 \times 10^6 \ \ \ \textrm{m/s}}{3.00 \times 10^8 \ \ \ \textrm{m/s}} = 0.00732[/tex]

So, expressed in units of the speed of light, the velocity is

[tex]v = 0.00732c[/tex]

The particle is moving at 0.00732 times the speed of light. Obviously, as a percentage, that's 0.732%. So I guess if you wanted to, you could say that the particle is moving at 0.732% of the speed of light. It's a completely equivalent statement though. It doesn't add any extra meaning.