How Fast is an Electron with a De Broglie Wavelength of 1.6 Å?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 7K views
chemrr
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


What is the velocity of an electron having a De Broglie wavelength that is approximately the length of a chemical bond? Assume this length to be 1.6 A


Homework Equations


wavelength= h/mv


The Attempt at a Solution


I fixed the equation to isolate the velocity

h/(m x wavelength)=v

However I am unsure what the unit A means beside the 1.6.
I thought wavelength is in a unit of measurement like m , nm
h is the plank's constant and
mass is the mass of an electron
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The unit Å stands for Ångström, a measure of distance commonly used in chemistry because it is on the order of the length of a chemical bond. 1 Å = 0.1 nm = 1 x 10-10 m.