How Fast is the Roller Coaster Car at the Top of the Hill?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
hbteen
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



As a roller coaster car crosses on the top of a 10 m radius hill (the track is underneath the car), its apparent weight is one-half its true weight. What is the car's speed at the top?


Homework Equations




A=v^2/r
F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution



I tried saying the weight was .5 and solving for velocity, but I still have a missing # for the Force variable.
Where do I go from there?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi hbteen! Welcome to PF! :smile:
hbteen said:
As a roller coaster car crosses on the top of a 10 m radius hill (the track is underneath the car), its apparent weight is one-half its true weight. What is the car's speed at the top?
…
A=v^2/r
F=ma
…
I tried saying the weight was .5 and solving for velocity, but I still have a missing # for the Force variable.

The weight doesn't matter … it cancels out. :wink:

Show us what you tried, and then we'll see where the problem is. :smile: