How Fast is the Sun Losing Mass Due to Radiation?

  • Thread starter Thread starter aeromat
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Energy Rate Sun
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
aeromat
Messages
113
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


The Sun radiates away energy at the rate of 3.9*10^24 Watts. At what rate it it losing mass due to this radiation?


Homework Equations


E = Δmc^2
E = mc^2 - m0c^2

Where m0 rep. rest mass.


The Attempt at a Solution


For this one, I am unsure as to how I would go about with solving it.
I know that a Watt can equal 1 Joule / second...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
aeromat said:
I know that a Watt can equal 1 Joule / second...

So then the Sun must radiate energy at 3.9*1024 Joule / second.

It will help if you consider a useful time interval, say 1 second, for your evaluation.