1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relativistic Energy and Lorentz factor

1. Oct 11, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two particles of rest mass m0 approach each other with equal and opposite velocity v, in a laboratory frame. What is the total energy of one particle as measured in the rest frame of the other?

But the question gives a clue which reads "if (v/c)^2 = .5, then E = 3m0c^2."

3. The attempt at a solution

My current understanding of this question is that the total energy is simply m0c^2 multiplied by the Lorentz factor. Could you explain to me how the clue is relevant?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2016 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Maybe the clue is to be used to check your answer for the special case when (v/c)2 = .5

4. Oct 11, 2016 #3
    When (v/c)^2 = .5 then the equation is just that E = (1.414)(m0c^2). Where did the 3 come from?

5. Oct 11, 2016 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes

6. Oct 11, 2016 #5

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are asked to find the energy of one of the particles according to a reference frame moving with the other particle. The statement (v/c)^2 = .5 specifies v for each particle in the lab frame. But you need to work in the frame of one of the particles.

7. Oct 11, 2016 #6
    It's not a hint per se - it's just providing you with a particular test case to enable you to check if your obtained answer is correct.

What would be a hint is: what is the velocity of the other particle as measured in the rest frame of one of the particles?

8. Oct 11, 2016 #7
    Oh I see.
    Could you help me set up the equation in the particle's frame of reference?

Before I can plug into E = y m0 c^2
    I need to find the m0 when the Lorentz factor is applied first because we are
    observing it from the frame of the particle?

9. Oct 11, 2016 #8
    ##m_0## is unchanged - it is the rest mass of the particle. What is changed is the Lorentz factor - because the particles move with different velocities in different frames.

10. Oct 11, 2016 #9
    Does that mean I need to first do velocity transformation
    u = (u' + v) / (1 + u'v/c^2)

And use the resulting velocity to plug into
    E = y m0 c^2 ?

11. Oct 11, 2016 #10
    Yes, that is correct - but it would be good if you try not to view it as doing some stuff and then plugging into a formula, because that often hinders with the understanding of the concepts.

12. Oct 11, 2016 #11
    I see. Thank you!

13. Oct 11, 2016 #12
    -

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
  14. Oct 11, 2016 #13
    Perhaps it would help if you show your final expression for the energy. The transformed velocity ##v'## is a function of ##v##, so your final answer will / should be in terms of ##v##, because well, that is your given initial parameter.

15. Oct 12, 2016 #14
    u' = [u - (-u)] / [1 - (u)(-u)/c^2] = 2u / [1+(u/c)^2

Plugging the u' into Lorentz factor for the Energy equation:

E = y m0 c^2 = m0 c^2 / [1 - ( [2u / [1+(u/c)^2] / c )^2] ^ -1/2

And with further simplification I get m0 c^2 / (1/3) = 3

Got it. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted