Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How Googlable are you? Computer dependence.

1. Feb 25, 2007 #1
    About how may hits on Google refer to you? Do you think future historians will judge us - heroes, villians, fools or nobodies - primarily according to our e-trail?

As the printing press standardized language and calculators redefined numeracy, will computers make us more (or less) independently literate, knowledgeable or sociable?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2007 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Since I use my real name here, I get quite a lot of hits. As it turns out, though, there is someone with the same name who runs a pool/spa business, so about half the hits are of him.

4. Feb 25, 2007 #3

turbo

Gold Member

Googling on my given name gives 2 relevant links that are not related to my tendency to write letters to the editor. Googling on my nickname and surname yields 15 relevant hits linking to pages relating to my former job running an auction division for a major auctioneer, and to sites featuring my avocations as a rock/blues guitarist and vocalist and tube-amp technician. Our e-trails can be extensive and can be difficult or impossible to erase, so keep your nose clean.

5. Feb 25, 2007 #4

ranger

Gold Member

Quotes should be placed around your name to get valid hits. I only get 5 hits, all of which are things that I've put up.

6. Feb 25, 2007 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh, darn! And here I was hoping you'd be able to give me a good deal on a pool some day. :biggrin: I think it's somewhat amusing that someone with the name Watters would be in the pool business.

7. Feb 25, 2007 #6
    My real name gets about 3 hits that are actually me :biggrin:

8. Feb 25, 2007 #7

radou

Homework Helper

4-5 hits, one of them is me, it's some exam results.

9. Feb 25, 2007 #8
    :surprised 592

First page is all me. the fourth hit on the second page is finally somebody else.

Edit: that was without parentheses but English pages only, in parentheses in all languages it drops to 499.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2007
  10. Feb 25, 2007 #9

Astronuc

Interesting what one can learn about oneself using Google. :biggrin:

I was trying to figure out how I managed to get on some Executive committee, and I apparently was nominated at some meeting I went to last year. I was so busy don't remember that part. :rofl:

Otherwise, there's a few websites, articles, seminars and conferences.

11. Feb 25, 2007 #10

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Googling "George Jones" results in more than a million hits.

12. Feb 25, 2007 #11

turbo

Gold Member

Bad choice of names, George.:rofl: If you had chosen to be named Elvis Presley, you would have to wade through almost 4M hits, so you're pretty lucky. :devil:

13. Feb 25, 2007 #12
    Not to mention the fact that I regularly see your site.

I get about .00001 hits a day, mainly since I don't like to use my real name.

MadScientist1000 is all you should know.

14. Feb 25, 2007 #13

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I bet a lot of sites come up when you Google "Mad Scientist" though. :biggrin:

15. Feb 25, 2007 #14

I'm surprised.

16. Feb 25, 2007 #15

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

164, most of them not me. (It appears a Maryland gambler, an English golfer, and a German footballer have usurped my name.) All that is truly me are few papers and some old Perl contributions. Thank goodness. My google count was a whole lot higher a few years ago when I was the president of our local soccer club. 600 kids, 1000 parents, far too many commitees.

17. Feb 26, 2007 #16

russ_watters

Yeah, clearly I missed my calling. I was in the Navy, though...
    Well, most of the hits on my site are due to the fact that I have the URL in my sig on 3 different message boards. The only place my full name actually appears is in my email address (perhaps I should change that....).

In any case, this is a good time to point out that I've been working hard updating my site the past month. I have a lot of good new pictures, including the jaw-dropper of Saturn I posted in the Astronomy forum...

18. Feb 26, 2007 #17

matthyaouw

Gold Member

Looked through 10 pages, and not one reference to me! I'm quite glad actually :)

19. Feb 26, 2007 #18

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

55 for me. Got one in russian, even...

20. Feb 26, 2007 #19
    Schrodinger's Dog gets 1 hit, from this web site. My real name get's nothing, which is good as I need anonimity for my work, well I call it work but really it's more of a hobby....:devil::smile:

21. Feb 26, 2007 #20
    I get a few hits, mostly related to my posts on fora. However, there are a number of almost famous people that share my name, most notably Jimmy the Greek. In addition there was a race car driver, a country singer, a bit part movie actor, and a manager of the Seattle Mariners. Also there is an artist with the web page www.jimmysnyder.com (it's not me). and the owner of a tanning salon and manufacturer of tanning products (Jimmy Jimmy Coco).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?