1. Ivan Seeking

Ivan Seeking 12,520
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Will Haggard,
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,11069-2436166,00.html

along with the Foley scandal, and books like "Tempting Faith"
    http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Books/sto...rtner=google&gclid=CJ2Y1vPnqYgCFQloYAodb1-xeA

suppress the evangelical vote?

2. jcsd
  3. I don't think so. Where else will they go?

4. arildno

arildno 12,015
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, they could quit being evangelical, for starters.

5. This is the loon featured in Richard Dawkins' new documentary! Here's an excerpt of his egomania:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmNjfpoRZpE&eurl=

(around 4:50, addressing Richard Dawkins):
    "...great like me!" Ahh, the hubris.

6. Ivan Seeking

Ivan Seeking 12,520
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hopefully they will just stay home on election day.

7. True enough. I'm sorry, voting is mandatory over here so that changes the dynamic. However, I still doubt it that these incindents will change the mind of alot of people since the republican/evanglical christian alliance (which is rather strange historically speaking) is strongly entrenched these days.

If anything, I bet most of those christians will figure that a republic vote at least will keep the godless (I'm sorry, but this is hilarious from a European point of view) Democrats out of power.

8. Ivan Seeking

Ivan Seeking 12,520
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Holy cow!!! Haggard just admitted to calling to buy meth, which he claims to have thrown away. He also went for a massage "on referral from a hotel".

I think they have at least one phone call on tape...

Last edited: Nov 3, 2006
  9. Ivan Seeking

Ivan Seeking 12,520
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hopefully they are starting to realize that they have been duped.

I too would think it's funny if it hadn't cost our nation so much. And this hasn't even been about being a Christian, it is about being the right kind of Christian. It is about extremists taking over the country, and you know from your history how troubling that can be.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2006
  10. Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Haggard case fuels debate over hypocrisy

Sad state of affairs.

11. Just to let you know, this has also become a pretty big news item over here in Belgium. The 13h news reported on the waning evangelical support for the republican party and the Haggard case.

12. edward

edward 1,003
    Gold Member

It kind of baffles me how this guy came to have such close ties to the Whitehouse. Ties that went beyond religion:

http://www.qctimes.net/articles/2006/11/04/news/local/doc454b91cf1e1b9467359686.txt

This does help explain why the Bush adminstration is sooo screwed up.

13. I heard the message he left. He wanted $100 - $200 worth of more meth! He also said he wanted to advance the guy some money to assure that there was a constant supply. Sounds like he went to a lot of trouble just to throw it away. :rofl:

14. Looks like he has also admitted to sexual misconduct.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,227568,00.html

15. LURCH

LURCH 2,512
    Science Advisor

I don't think it will effect the evangelical vote. After all, that sort of voter is voting principals, and tends to vote conservative/Republican because of things like that admission.

There's not much to choose from, with conservatives you get:
    With liberals you get:
    "I did not have sexual relations with that woman...", and "I'm sorry some people may have missinterpretted what I said so that it could be misconstrued as an insult to our troops...".

Both indulge in deplorable behavior, so you vote for the one who at least has the decency to admit that their behavior was deplorable, and retire from the field in humiliation when they get caught! It's a sick choice to have to make, but dangit, ain't that what makes this country great?!

16. Astronuc

I think Clinton finally did apologize for that stupid statement, but it was way too late. Kerry finally clarified and apologized three days later, after going on the offensive during the second day, when he should have simply acknowledged he can't tell a joke and apologized for making what appeared to be a disparaging remark.

Haggard started denying, then slowly as things unfolded confessed to the methamphetamine, but I don't know what else. I don't see that Haggard has confessed to immoral sexual conduct, but the church's investigation has concluded that he did.

The church is still investigating.

17. So you plan to vote for Haggard?

18. edward

edward 1,003
    Gold Member

I guess it all depends on what Haggards definition of a massage by a gay prostitue is.
    Yesterday he only admitted to the meth.

Edit:
    And today (Sunday)he confessed to the sex acts.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2006
  19. Gokul43201

Gokul43201 11,141
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You've completely missed the point here, so I'll make it clear. The religious conservatives (and Haggard, being their role model) deplore homosexuality, extra/pre-marital sex and use of hallucinogens. So, when you find Rush Limbaugh is a doper, Bill Bennett has a gambling addiction, Bill O'Reilly settles a sexual harrassment suit and now, Reverend Haggard admits to buying dope from a gay prostitute, there's one word that comes to most minds: HYPOCRITES!

20. LURCH

LURCH 2,512
    Science Advisor

http://www.comcast.net/news/index.jsp?cat=GENERAL&fn=/2006/11/05/514133.html&cvqh=itn_confesses

To this day, Clinton behaves as though he did nothing wrong, and Kerry only said he was sorry that people "missunderstood" what he said. If you read or hear his actual words, they most definitely were an insult to anyone in uniform, no room for intepretation. But he only appologised for other people's innability to understand what he meant to say. The appology is a repeat of the original offense. He basicaly said, "I'm sorry that you're so stupid that you thought I was calling you stupid".

21. Astronuc

Not quite. This statement is misleading.

What Kerry said last Wednesday was
    http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/11/01/kerry.remarks/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

He apologized for offending the troops and the fact that his words were misinterpreted. He botched a joke that was critical of president Bush, and Bush's apparent lack of education (and lack of knowledge and lack of being educated), but the way it was stated made it appear that he was saying that anyone without a proper education would end up in Iraq, which was not Kerry's intent.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?