Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B How have we figured out the Plank length of the universe?

1. Sep 2, 2016 #1
    how have we figured out plank length of the universe ?and know its that size ?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2016 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

This makes no sense. It's like saying "have we figured out the radius of an apple for a skyscraper?".

4. Sep 2, 2016 #3
    lol sorry ok i know we have a planck length i was wondering how we found it

5. Sep 2, 2016 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Like we "found" the foot or the meter. We defined it.

6. Sep 2, 2016 #5
    hmmmm it always the easy questions that are the most difficult to answer,lol. i know we have a minimum length that we can mescher SA particles with i was just wondering how we came up with it or how we knew that it was the smallest light we can mescher by sorry for not being more chear with my question and thank you for replying

7. Sep 2, 2016 #6

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Plank length was defined from several other physical constants. PL, versus lengths we can actually currently measure are several orders of magnitude apart. I think the last thing I read had the smallest length measured somewhere around 10^-18m. Which is incredibly small, but no where near PL at 10^-35m.

So PL has use in theory, but we don't have any way to currently measure lengths that small. It would also be wrong to say it is the minimum length that can be measured - we can't yet test that experimentally.

8. Sep 2, 2016 #7
    I don't think we did.

9. Sep 3, 2016 #8

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

The quote seems like gobblygook. There is no current physical significance of PL, and no way to actually test what happens when you measure lengths that small. For all we know QG could very well require other physical constants than c, G, ##\hbar##. Plank just happened to define this length a certain way.

I don't think it correct to say
    Without experiments, no physics. Just half-blind speculation.

10. Sep 3, 2016 #9

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

For good reason.

Planck units have no mystical power. The Planck charge is 11.7 electron charges. The Planck resistance is 30 ohms. Nothing magic happens there. It's probably true that quantum gravity becomes important at a scale of perhaps 10 or 20 Planck lengths, but that's just a statement about the relative sizes of h, c and G.

11. Sep 5, 2016 #10
    The Planck flavor is Blueberry Fudge. The Planck address is 1325 Maple st. But that doesn't invalidate EVERYTHING Max Planck did.

BTW, Some of the formatting was lost in that quote (Those are supposed to be exponents, not ranges.) Lets see if this works:

https://wikimedia.org/api/rest_v1/media/math/render/svg/41c085ebc8add3aad57122d5d1487068b21154bd

12. Sep 5, 2016 #11

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2017
  13. Sep 5, 2016 #12

Fervent Freyja

Gold Member

What is that supposed to mean? Are you implying that Max Planck had a small member? That is a horrible joke (though telling).

14. Sep 5, 2016 #13

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

15. Sep 5, 2016 #14

OCR

Well, now you've done it !... :olduhh:

You're on Max's "really, really bad" list... he's likely to whop you on the head with a big board .... lol

See... he doesn't look very happy about being made sport of....:oldgrumpy:

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted