How High Should I Drop My Weapon Sights for a 2.2 M/S Recoil Simulation?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter amdcursed
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Simulation
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 5K views
amdcursed
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I need to do a rifle recoil simulation to some weapon sights. I have two of them. One weighs 2.2 lbs and the other 2.6 lbs. I need them to be going 2.2 meters a second when the hit the ground.

How high do I have to drop each one?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Seems like a strange thing to do to a rifle.

Objects accelerate downward at g (9.81 m/s2), which is the acceleration of gravity at sea level. If an object starts are rest and falls, then one can use conservation of energy - gravitational energy (mgh) becomes kinetic energy (1/2 mv2), or

mgh = 1/2 mv2, which can be simplified to find h as a function of v.