How is a binomial expansion done?

In summary, the conversation was about a binomial expansion in physics, specifically regarding the lines from Griffiths E&M 4th Edition. The approximation was made using the binomial expansion formula, which is a special case of the Taylor expansion. It was explained how the equation was derived and how it can be used in physics problems. The conversation also touched on the importance of understanding Taylor series in physics.
CrosisBH
TL;DR Summary
Can someone give me a basic high level overview on how to do a binomial expansion?
Summary: Can someone give me a basic high level overview on how to do a binomial expansion?

I'm studying for my E&M test and going over multipole expansion. I'm particularly confused about these lines (Griffiths E&M 4th Edition)

[tex]𝓇^2_{\pm} = r^2 \left(1\mp \frac{d}{r} \cos\theta + \frac{d^2}{4r^2}\right)[/tex]

We're interested in the régime r>>d, so the third term in negligible, and the binomial expansion yields

[tex] \frac{1}{𝓇^2_{\pm}} \cong \frac{1}{r} \left( 1 \mp \frac{d}{r}\cos\theta\right)^{-1/2}\cong \frac{1}{r}\left(1\pm\frac{d}{2r}\cos\theta\right)[/tex]

Thus

[tex]\frac{1}{𝓇^2_{+}} - \frac{1}{𝓇^2_{-}} \cong \frac{d}{r^2}\cos\theta[/tex]

I understand how the first line was derived, and I understand the first half on the second line, but I don't understand how the approximation was made in the second half. It's called a binomial expansion apparently, but all my research seems to point toward expanding an integer power binomial

[tex](a+b)^2 = a^2 + 2ab + b^2[/tex]

And anything about a generalized form is written with binomial coefficients which I can't seem to wrap my head around, and right now it seems beyond my math level to understand it formally. Could someone give me a physics level rigor on how this expansion is done? This'll probably be on my next exam and I want to understand it.

Physics news on Phys.org
The general binomial expansion is:

##(1 + x)^n = 1 + nx + \frac {n(n - 1)} { 2! } x^2 + ...##

It's still valid if n = -1/2

and so in your case ## x = \frac d { 2r } cos \theta##

and so you get ##\frac 1 {r_{-}^2} = \frac 1 r (1 - \frac d { 2r } cos \theta) ##

and ##\frac 1 {r_{+}^2} =\frac 1 r (1 + \frac d { 2r } cos \theta)##

and hence you get

## \frac 1 {r_{+}^2} - \frac 1 {r_{-}^2} = \frac 1 r (1 + \frac d { 2r } cos \theta) - \frac 1 r (1 - \frac d { 2r } cos \theta) = \frac d { r^2 } cos \theta##

Does that make sense ?

https://socratic.org/questions/how-do-you-use-the-binomial-series-to-expand-1-x-1-2

Likes CrosisBH and Mark44
It is also a special case of the Taylor expansion, expand ##(1+x)^c## around x=0.

Likes jedishrfu
That makes perfect sense. After I posted this, I consulted my current Math Professor (Diff eq and Linear Algebra) and he explained it was an infinite series but he forgot the exact equation but I should be able to find it. Then I come here and jedishrfu posted the equation I needed and went through the math, and mfb explained it was derived from the Taylor Series. I honestly haven't touched a Taylor Series since Calc 2 a year ago and I forgot they were a thing. My professor would probably give a very similar problem to this one and I should just memorize.
[tex] (1+x)^{-1/2} \cong 1-\frac{1}{2}x [/tex]

I've heard that Taylor Series expansions are so common in physics so I should just start getting used to them. Thank you everyone!

Likes WWGD

1. What is a binomial expansion?

A binomial expansion is a mathematical process used to expand a binomial expression, which consists of two terms, into a series of terms. It is used to simplify complicated expressions and solve equations.

2. How is a binomial expansion done?

A binomial expansion is done by using the binomial theorem, which states that the coefficients of the terms in the expansion can be calculated using a combination formula. The formula is (a + b)^n = Σ(n choose k) * a^(n-k) * b^k, where n is the power, a and b are the terms, and k is the term number.

3. What is the purpose of a binomial expansion?

The purpose of a binomial expansion is to simplify complicated expressions and solve equations. It allows us to expand a binomial expression into a series of terms, making it easier to manipulate and solve for unknown variables.

4. What are some real-life applications of binomial expansion?

Binomial expansion has many real-life applications, including in finance, physics, and probability. It is used to calculate compound interest, model projectile motion, and determine the probability of outcomes in games of chance.

5. What are some common mistakes when performing a binomial expansion?

Some common mistakes when performing a binomial expansion include forgetting to use the combination formula, miscalculating the coefficients, and forgetting to distribute the exponents to each term. It is important to carefully follow the steps of the binomial theorem to avoid these errors.