How Is Doppler Velocity Calculated for Recoil Compensation in Mossbauer Effect?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mr LoganC
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
Mr LoganC
Messages
19
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Calculate the Doppler velocity needed to compensate for the recoil energy.

Homework Equations


[itex]V=\frac{E_{0}}{m c}[/itex]


The Attempt at a Solution


I found the recoil energy to be [itex]1.95\times10^{-3}[/itex] eV.
And for Iron-57, [itex]E_{\gamma}[/itex] is 14.4KeV. Which is approximatly equal to [itex]E_{0}[/itex].
So just plugging these values into the above equation, I get 81.27m/s which seems a bit high, as many articles site around 10mm/s!

Perhaps units I am using should be in something else? Or maybe I am using the completely wrong equation?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
From the wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mössbauer_effect

The emission and absorption of x-rays by gases had been observed previously, and it was expected that a similar phenomenon would be found for gamma rays, which are created by nuclear transitions (as opposed to x-rays, which are typically produced by electronic transitions). However, attempts to observe gamma-ray resonance in gases failed due to energy being lost to recoil, preventing resonance (the Doppler effect also broadens the gamma-ray spectrum). Mössbauer was able to observe resonance in solid iridium, which raised the question of why gamma-ray resonance was possible in solids, but not in gases. Mössbauer proposed that, for the case of atoms bound into a solid, under certain circumstances a fraction of the nuclear events could occur essentially without recoil. He attributed the observed resonance to this recoil-free fraction of nuclear events.
 
Mr LoganC said:

Homework Statement


Calculate the Doppler velocity needed to compensate for the recoil energy.

Homework Equations


[itex]V=\frac{E_{0}}{m c}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution


I found the recoil energy to be [itex]1.95\times10^{-3}[/itex] eV.
And for Iron-57, [itex]E_{\gamma}[/itex] is 14.4KeV. Which is approximatly equal to [itex]E_{0}[/itex].
So just plugging these values into the above equation, I get 81.27m/s which seems a bit high, as many articles site around 10mm/s!

Perhaps units I am using should be in something else? Or maybe I am using the completely wrong equation?

Hi,
You answer for recoil velocity seems to be correct (i get 81.47 m/s). The 10 mm/s velocity is not the recoil velocity. It is the speed of transducer, i.e. the vibrating velocity of the Mössbauer source to acquire a complete Mössbauer spectrum..1 mm/s is equal to 48.075 neV ([itex]E_{D}=\frac{E_{\gamma} v}{c}[\itex], take v=1 mm/s and you will get 48.075 neV).<br /> Cheers, Rajini[/itex]