Nuclear Physics: Recoil in gamma decay

In summary, the question asks for the difference between Egamma and the excitation energy of the nucleus, taking into account the recoil of the nucleus. The solution involves using the linear elastic assumption and conservation of energy to derive a relation between Egamma and the excitation energy. The result is that, under the assumption that Egamma is small relative to the nucleus mass, the difference between Egamma and the excitation energy is negligible.
Clouis523

Homework Statement

Question wants you to

a) find the difference between Egamma and the excitation energy of the nucleus due to the fact that the nucleus recoils. (using approximation that Egamma is small relative to nucleus mass.

other parts are simple if I can get a)

Homework Equations

Unsure but obviously we have 931.494 MeV/u and I'm using a linear elastic assumption as well the assumption that energy is conserved.

The Attempt at a Solution

Starting from momentum = 0 I got the momentum of the photon must = - momentum of nucleus

p=0 => abs(mv)=abs(h/λ)

and since λ=ch/Egamma

→ abs(mv)=abs(Egamma/c)

→v=Egamma/cm

Now using Eexc=Egamma+Enucleus
Eexc=Egamma+0.5mv2
Eexc=Egamma+0.5m(Egamma/cm)2
Eexc=Egamma+0.5Egamma2/c2m

leading to the relation

E=Egamma(1+Egamma/c2m)

or

E=Egamma(1+Egamma/1862.988m)

if m is given in amu and Egamma in MeV

which if I apply the assumption given in the question that c2m >> Egamma I obtain

E=Egamma as the second term goes to zero.

Now my thought on this is that unless I'm missing something recoil energy is given in terms tens or hundreds max of eV which would be negligable. Am I missing something here? Because the follow up questions become moot as everything goes to a multiplicative factor of 1.

Physics news on Phys.org
Or this is the Mössbauer effect and I'm dumb

1. What is recoil in gamma decay?

Recoil in gamma decay is the phenomenon in which a nucleus emits a gamma ray and experiences a corresponding recoil, or movement in the opposite direction. This recoil is due to the conservation of momentum and energy in the decay process.

2. How does recoil affect the energy of the emitted gamma ray?

The energy of the emitted gamma ray is directly related to the recoil of the nucleus. As the nucleus recoils, it loses some of its energy, causing the gamma ray to have a slightly lower energy than the original nucleus. This is known as Doppler broadening.

3. Is recoil in gamma decay always present?

Yes, recoil is present in all types of nuclear decay, including gamma decay. However, the amount of recoil may vary depending on the energy and type of decay. In some cases, the recoil may be negligible.

4. How is recoil in gamma decay calculated?

The amount of recoil in gamma decay can be calculated using the conservation of momentum and energy equations. The recoil velocity of the nucleus can be determined from the difference in the masses of the parent and daughter nuclei, as well as the energy and direction of the emitted gamma ray.

5. Can recoil be used to study nuclear structure?

Yes, the amount of recoil in gamma decay can provide information about the internal structure of the nucleus. By measuring the recoil velocity, scientists can infer the spin and parity of the excited state of the nucleus, and use this information to further study its properties.