How is it called? (the window pane blackboard )

  • Thread starter Metame
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, the conversation discussed a type of blackboard that is transparent like a window pane and used with white pens or grease pencils. It was mentioned that it is commonly seen in movies with science themes. It was also suggested that one could make their own using plexiglass and dry erase markers, and there was a question about cleaning it.
  • #1
How is it called? (the "window pane blackboard")

Hello everyone, that's one terrible flat question I'm asking here, but do you know what is this super stylish blackboard that isn't black but transparent, exactly like a grand window pane? Any movie with some science in it has it. They write on it with white pens. I'm looking forward to buy one, it'd be fun to have one home. Thanks to you.
Physics news on
  • #2
Oh House wrote on one of those for awhile lol! But I don't know what they are called sorry
  • #3
We used them in the Navy - it is just a back-lit plexiglass sandwich that you write on with a grease pencil. You could make one yourself without too much trouble.
  • #4
Thank you for your response (I know my reply is a bit out of sync), I'll definitely make one myself.
  • #5
I always wonder how you clean it. Grease pencil?
  • #6
You could just use window panes too, and dry erase markers.

Can you write on plexiglass with dry erase markers, or would it damage it?

1. What is the name of the window pane blackboard?

The name of the window pane blackboard is often referred to as a "chalkboard" or "blackboard".

2. Is the window pane blackboard the same as a whiteboard?

No, a window pane blackboard is typically made of a dark, matte material that can be written on with chalk, while a whiteboard is typically made of a glossy, white material that can be written on with dry erase markers.

3. Can you use regular chalk on a window pane blackboard?

Yes, regular chalk can be used on a window pane blackboard. However, some people prefer to use liquid chalk markers for a cleaner and more vibrant look.

4. How do you clean a window pane blackboard?

To clean a window pane blackboard, use a damp cloth to wipe off the chalk. For more stubborn stains, you can use a mixture of water and vinegar. Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive materials as they can damage the blackboard.

5. Can a window pane blackboard be used as a projection screen?

No, a window pane blackboard is not suitable for use as a projection screen as it is not designed to reflect light in the same way as a white surface. It may also cause damage to the blackboard surface.

Suggested for: How is it called? (the window pane blackboard )