How is it possible to even double major in engineering and mathematics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the challenge of pursuing a double major in engineering and mathematics due to the limited number of credits available for electives and the differing general education requirements for each major. It is noted that this may require an extra year of study and that the success of this combination can vary depending on the university and individual circumstances.
kramer733
When i hear people say this, i don't even believe them. I'm looking at the course calendar for electrical engineering at the university i want to attend and the course calendar for a math major at the same university. It's just not possible. Like quite literally there's just not enough credits to go around to do this. You need 21.5 credits (0.5 credit per class) and there's barely any electives for engineering. In mathematics, you need 11 credits to get a math major.

http://www.carleton.ca/calendars/ugrad/current/programs/engineering.html#eebe [Broken]

That's the site for electrical engineering course calender

http://www.carleton.ca/calendars/ugrad/current/programs/mathematicsandstatistics.html#mbmh [Broken]

That's the site for the math major course calendar (Just look at Part A)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You don't attempt to fit all your second majors courses into the electives and you will likely have to spend an extra year.

The main problem with the double engineering/math major is that many universities like to have the math degree in the "liberal arts and sciences" section of the college while the engineering degree is in the "school of engineering". They have different general education requirments, usually with the math degree requiring extra unrelated crap.

I'm doing this double degree. But i have to spend an extra year, so it's a 5 year course. I don't have to do any gen ed courses since I'm in a double degree.

AP credits and a heavy workload let me double major with engineering in 4 years. Different schools also have different general requirements.

I can assure you that it is indeed possible to double major in engineering and mathematics. While it may seem challenging and require careful planning, it is certainly achievable.

Firstly, it's important to note that the number of credits required for a major may vary from university to university. Therefore, it's possible that the university you are looking at may have a higher credit requirement for the math major than other universities. Additionally, some universities offer combined or joint programs where students can earn a double major with a reduced credit requirement.

Furthermore, many engineering programs have a certain number of electives built into the curriculum, which can be used to fulfill the requirements for a math major. It may require some strategic course selection and possibly taking summer courses, but it is definitely possible to complete both majors within the allotted credit requirements.

It's also worth mentioning that many universities allow students to petition for additional credits or exemptions based on their academic performance or relevant experience. So, if a student has a strong background in mathematics, they may be able to petition for some credits to be counted towards their math major.

In summary, while it may not be the easiest path, it is certainly possible to double major in engineering and mathematics. It may require careful planning, strategic course selection, and possibly seeking exemptions, but with determination and hard work, it can be achieved.

1. How long does it take to complete a double major in engineering and mathematics?

The amount of time it takes to complete a double major in engineering and mathematics varies depending on the individual and the specific programs at their university. Generally, it can take anywhere from 4 to 5 years to complete both majors.

2. Is it difficult to balance the workload of two rigorous majors?

It can be challenging to balance the workload of two rigorous majors, but it is possible with proper time management and organization. It is important to prioritize tasks and seek help when needed.

3. What are the benefits of pursuing a double major in engineering and mathematics?

Pursuing a double major in engineering and mathematics can provide a well-rounded education and open up a wider range of career opportunities. It also allows for a deeper understanding of the intersection between the two fields.

4. Can I still participate in extracurricular activities while pursuing a double major?

Yes, it is possible to participate in extracurricular activities while pursuing a double major in engineering and mathematics. However, it may require good time management skills and prioritizing academics.

5. Are there any specific requirements or prerequisites for a double major in engineering and mathematics?

Specific requirements and prerequisites for a double major in engineering and mathematics vary depending on the university and program. It is important to consult with an academic advisor to determine the specific requirements for your chosen majors.