1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How is lift force proportional to speed up?

1. Mar 21, 2013 #1
    i know that if i have a greater lift force, there will be a greater speed upwards, but i don't know to calculate a speed of something upwards. is this even possible to calculate? if it's not, can you give a calculation example??

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2013 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Work out the net force acting on the object in the vertical direction..

Net Force = Lift - Weight

Then apply Newton..

Net Force = mass * acceleration

If lift = weight then there is no net force acting on the object so it's vertical velocity will be constant (eg acceleration = 0).

4. Mar 21, 2013 #3
    is weight the atmospheric pressure or how much the body weighs? just want to make sure.

5. Mar 21, 2013 #4

rcgldr

Homework Helper

By definition, lift is perpendicular to the direction of travel (with respect to the air), so it only changes direction, not speed. If a plane is in a steady vertical climb at some constant angle θ above horitzontal, with a vertical speed component of speed x sin(θ), then there needs to be enough thrust and lift so that the vertical components of thrust and lift equal the weight of the aircraft:

thrust x sin(θ) + lift x cos(θ) = weight.

6. Mar 21, 2013 #5
    okay then, thank you all!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook