Lift Force of a Rotating Sphere in the Air

In summary: Hop-up_(airsoft)The loss of linear velocity is not the only concern with the use of a Hop-Up mechanism. The increased backspin often results in increased wear on the BB, which can lead to a decrease in muzzle velocity. I measure this decrease by measuring the muzzle velocity before and after the Hop-Up mechanism is in place.
Ruda975
Hello,
I would like to ask one question. What is the equation for the lift force of a rotating sphere when flying through the air:
m = 0.25 g
v = 130 m/s
angular velocity = 105 rad/s
radius = 3 mm
air density = 1.2292 kg/m^3
air pressure = 101200 Pa
air temperature = 15 °C = 288.15 K
If anyone is interested, it is an airsoft bb. I have also calculated the Reynolds number to be around 49182. I don´t know if that´s correct or not.
I have not yet measured the angular velocity of my airsoft gun, but there is a wikipedia article about hop up (the mechanism that applies backspin to the bb), that says that the backspin can exceed 1000 rpm which is about 105 rad/s, so I am using that value.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the direction of that rotation?

Lnewqban said:
What is the direction of that rotation?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hop-up_(airsoft)
There is an animation of the rotation of this webpage.
And here is a quick illustration I made.

Attachments

• SphereSpin.png
    SphereSpin.png
    5.7 KB · Views: 102
Ruda975 said:
I have not yet measured the angular velocity of my airsoft gun, but there is a wikipedia article about hop up (the mechanism that applies backspin to the bb), that says that the backspin can exceed 1000 rpm
Do you also increase the CO2 discharge level to compensate for the lost velocity in the barrel? If energy is being put into the backspin of the BB, then linear velocity will be lost in the process, it would seem...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hop-up_(airsoft)

1644251955182.png

Likes Lnewqban
I only consider the behavior of the bb after it leaves the barrel. I do this through measuring the velocity and angular velocity of the bb once it leaves the barrel.

Ruda975 said:
I only consider the behavior of the bb after it leaves the barrel. I do this through measuring the velocity and angular velocity of the bb once it leaves the barrel.
Whate decrease in muzzle velocity do you measure with the Hop-Up mechanism in place?

1. What is the lift force of a rotating sphere in the air?

The lift force of a rotating sphere in the air is the force that acts perpendicular to the direction of the air flow and allows the sphere to stay in the air. It is caused by the difference in air pressure on the top and bottom of the sphere due to its rotation.

2. How does the rotation of the sphere affect the lift force?

The rotation of the sphere creates a difference in air pressure on the top and bottom, which results in a higher lift force compared to a non-rotating sphere. This is known as the Magnus effect.

3. What factors affect the lift force of a rotating sphere?

The lift force of a rotating sphere is affected by the rotational speed, size and shape of the sphere, the density and viscosity of the air, and the angle of attack (the angle between the air flow and the axis of rotation).

4. How can the lift force of a rotating sphere be calculated?

The lift force of a rotating sphere can be calculated using the Magnus effect equation: F = ρωvA, where ρ is the air density, ω is the angular velocity, v is the air velocity, and A is the cross-sectional area of the sphere.

5. What are some real-life applications of the lift force of a rotating sphere?

The lift force of a rotating sphere is utilized in various sports such as golf, tennis, and baseball, where spin is used to control the trajectory of the ball. It is also used in helicopter rotors and wind turbines to generate lift and produce energy.