Lift Force of a Rotating Sphere in the Air

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 4K views
Ruda975
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Hello,
I would like to ask one question. What is the equation for the lift force of a rotating sphere when flying through the air:
m = 0.25 g
v = 130 m/s
angular velocity = 105 rad/s
radius = 3 mm
air density = 1.2292 kg/m^3
air pressure = 101200 Pa
air temperature = 15 °C = 288.15 K
If anyone is interested, it is an airsoft bb. I have also calculated the Reynolds number to be around 49182. I don´t know if that´s correct or not.
I have not yet measured the angular velocity of my airsoft gun, but there is a wikipedia article about hop up (the mechanism that applies backspin to the bb), that says that the backspin can exceed 1000 rpm which is about 105 rad/s, so I am using that value.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Attachments
  • SphereSpin.png
    SphereSpin.png
    5.7 KB · Views: 216
Ruda975 said:
I have not yet measured the angular velocity of my airsoft gun, but there is a wikipedia article about hop up (the mechanism that applies backspin to the bb), that says that the backspin can exceed 1000 rpm
Do you also increase the CO2 discharge level to compensate for the lost velocity in the barrel? If energy is being put into the backspin of the BB, then linear velocity will be lost in the process, it would seem...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hop-up_(airsoft)

1644251955182.png
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Lnewqban
I only consider the behavior of the bb after it leaves the barrel. I do this through measuring the velocity and angular velocity of the bb once it leaves the barrel.
 
Ruda975 said:
I only consider the behavior of the bb after it leaves the barrel. I do this through measuring the velocity and angular velocity of the bb once it leaves the barrel.
Whate decrease in muzzle velocity do you measure with the Hop-Up mechanism in place?