1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How is my text book getting the components of a vector?

1. Dec 31, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    My text book shows a vector B 130° from the positive x-axis. B has a value of 5; it asks for the x and y components for B.

But they show a way other than SOH CAH TOA. They got the x component by multiplying 5(cos130°) and the y component by multiplying 5(sin130°). What is this method?

2. Relevant equations
    All I know is SOH CAH TOA, but that obviously will not work in this case.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I can easily figure it out by putting B into a right triangle to get the x and y components. But I am interested in learning this technique too which I apparently missed some where along the way.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 31, 2012 #2

lurflurf

Homework Helper

That is the usual method. sin and cos are defined for angles greater than 90, they can also be reduced
    5(cos130°)=-5(cos50°)
    5(sin130°)=5(sin50°)

4. Dec 31, 2012 #3

BruceW

Homework Helper

(@student34)
    I'm guessing the way you did it was to consider the triangle between the line and the y axis (or x axis), then relate this to the x and y components with respect to the origin? This way is fine, but yeah, their way is faster.

Do you know how to use double-angle formula? You can use this to show why their method and your method both give the same result. hint: 130=90+40 and use this in the double-angle formula.

Fundamentally, their method is using a rotation matrix to rotate the line counter-clockwise. are you familiar with rotation matrix? You can sort of justify their method by drawing a couple of different positions of the line, and seeing how the angle changes and how that changes the x and y components. (try this out, I think it helps give a feel for what is going on)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook