How is Pressure Calculated in a Chemical Reaction Using the Ideal Gas Law?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 9K views
Jules18
Messages
100
Reaction score
0
2 SO2 +O2 --> 2 SO3

A mixture of gases containing 0.20 mol of SO2 and 0.2 mol of O2 in a 4.0 L flask reacts to form SO3. If the temperature is 25ºC, what is the pressure in the flask after reaction is complete?

The answer key says the answer is 0.3(0.082)(298)/4, using PV = nRT. (0.3 being the number of moles of gas after the reaction.)
But according to the coefficients in the reaction, I thought since there are 0.2 moles of SO2 there should also be 0.2 moles of SO3.

Is it a typo or am I wrong in how I approached the question?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If I understand you correctly, I knew that, and I thought the limiting reactant was SO2. So I thought that if there were 0.2 moles of SO2, there would be 0.2 moles of the product...
That was my logic

?
 
Correct logic so far.

If SO2 is a limiting reagent, what can you tell about oxygen?

--
 
Ooooooookay I can't believe I didn't realize that!

grrr