How is refractive index a function of frequency?

In summary, refractive index is a dimensionless quantity that measures how much a material can bend or slow down the speed of light passing through it. It is directly related to the frequency of light, with a higher frequency resulting in a higher refractive index. The mathematical formula for calculating refractive index is n=c/v, and it determines how much the speed of light is slowed down while passing through the material. The refractive index of a material can change with frequency due to the phenomenon of dispersion.
vhbelvadi
I recently came across the representation of n(ω) for refractive indices.
I also scouted the internet for explanations but could find none, except one on 'complex refractive index' but I don't think that's quite it.

So how exactly is refractive index a function of frequency?

Science news on Phys.org
Cauchy came up with an empirical equation with constants characteristic of the media used.I'm assuming that advances have been made since Cauchys time and if so a search starting with something like "Cauchy's dispersion formula" might lead you in the right direction.

What is refractive index?

Refractive index is a measure of how much a material can bend or slow down the speed of light passing through it. It is a dimensionless quantity and is denoted by the symbol "n".

How is refractive index related to frequency?

The refractive index of a material is directly related to the frequency of light passing through it. As the frequency of light increases, the refractive index also increases. This relationship is known as the Kramers-Kronig relation.

What is the mathematical formula for calculating refractive index?

The mathematical formula for calculating refractive index is n=c/v, where "c" is the speed of light in a vacuum and "v" is the speed of light in the material. This formula can be used for any frequency of light.

How does the refractive index of a material affect the speed of light?

The refractive index of a material determines how much the speed of light is slowed down while passing through it. A higher refractive index means that light will travel slower in that material compared to a material with a lower refractive index.

Can the refractive index of a material change with frequency?

Yes, the refractive index of a material can change with frequency. This is because different frequencies of light interact with materials in different ways, causing a change in the material's refractive index. This phenomenon is known as dispersion.