How is Rest Mass Affected in the Process of Rocket Propulsion?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 1K views
SHawking01
Messages
13
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A rocket, initially at rest, propels itself in a straight line by giving portions of its mass a constant (backward) speed vout relative to its instantaneous rest frame. (a) Is rest mass conserved in this process? (b) Show that m0du′ = −dm0 vout, where m0 is the rocket’s rest mass and du′ is the change in the rocket’s speed (in its instantaneous rest frame) when its rest mass changes by dm0. (c) Show that m0 du/dm0 = −(1 − u 2/c2) vout, where u is the speed of the rocket in its initial rest frame. (d) Suppose the rocket reaches speed uf relative to its initial rest frame. Show that the ratio of its initial to final rest mass is given by (m0,i/ m0,f)= (c + uf)/( c − uf)c/2vout

Homework Equations


Velocity addition formula: u= u'+v/(1+vu'/c2)

The Attempt at a Solution


a)Rest mass is not conserved due to loss of kinetic energy.
b) m0c2=γ(vout)d\tilde{\m}c2+ γ(du')(m0+dm0)c2
0=γ(du')(m0+dm0)du'-γ(vout)d\tilde{\m}vout
γ(du')=1/√1-(du')2/c2 by the binomial approximation is ≈1.
m0du'=γ(vout)d\tilde{\m}vout
m0du'=-dm0vout
m0/dm0=-vout/du'
c) vout=m0du'/-dm0
I know I have to use the velocity addition formula. How do I find u and u'?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
SHawking01 said:
Rest mass is not conserved due to loss of kinetic energy.
Where is kinetic energy lost?
How do you define (total?) rest mass in the first place?

For (c), I don't think you need velocity addition, the transformation between u' and u (but I don't understand how exactly they are defined) could give the gamma factor without it.