How is the algebra of quaternions isomorphic to the algebra of matrices?

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of showing that the algebra of quaternions is isomorphic to the algebra of matrices, with a hint provided for finding the isomorphism between the two structures. The participants discuss the definition of isomorphism and how to prove it in this specific case. The main steps involved are identifying the matrices with the quaternions and showing that the operations and properties of the two structures are preserved under the isomorphism.
mitch_jacky
I just started learning about morphisms and I came across a problem that totally stumps me. Here goes:

Show that the algebra of quaternions is isomorphic to the algebra of matrices of the form:

\begin{pmatrix}
\alpha & \beta \\
-\bar{\beta} & \bar{\alpha} \end{pmatrix}

where α,β[itex]\in[/itex]ℂ and the overbar indicates complex conjugation.

[Hint: If q=a+bi+cj+dk is a quaternion, identify it with the matrix whose entries are [itex]\alpha[/itex] =a+bi, [itex]\beta[/itex] =c+di, [itex]\bar{\alpha}[/itex] =a-bi, -[itex]\bar{\beta}[/itex] =-c+di, (a,b,c,d) [itex]\in[/itex]ℝ, i[itex]^{2}[/itex]=j[itex]^{2}[/itex]=k[itex]^{2}[/itex]=-1]

Thanks a lot everyone!

Physics news on Phys.org
mitch_jacky said:
I just started learning about morphisms and I came across a problem that totally stumps me. Here goes:

Show that the algebra of quaternions is isomorphic to the algebra of matrices of the form:

\begin{pmatrix}
\alpha & \beta \\

[Hint: If q=a+bi+cj+dk is a quaternion, identify it with the matrix whose entries are [itex]\alpha[/itex] =a+bi, [itex]\beta[/itex] =c+di, [itex]\bar{\alpha}[/itex] =a-bi, -[itex]\bar{\beta}[/itex] =-c+di, (a,b,c,d) [itex]\in[/itex]ℝ, i[itex]^{2}[/itex]=j[itex]^{2}[/itex]=k[itex]^{2}[/itex]=-1]

Thanks a lot everyone!

What have you tried? Have you already summed (multiplied) two of the above matrices and verified the sum behaves as the

sum (product) of the respective quaternions?

For example, heeding to the hint given, we'd have the identifications

[tex]i \sim \begin{pmatrix}1&0\\0&-1\end{pmatrix}\,\,,\,j \sim \begin{pmatrix}0&1\\-1&0\end{pmatrix}\,\,,\,k \sim \begin{pmatrix}0&1\\1&0\end{pmatrix}[/tex]so do we have

[tex]ij=k \sim \begin{pmatrix}1&0\\0&-1\end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix}0&1\\-1&0\end{pmatrix}\stackrel{?}=\begin{pmatrix}0&1\\1&0\end{pmatrix}\,\,??[/tex]

DonAntonio

Okay, I have verified that ij=k but I don't see what to do next.

The more I look at this problem the less I understand what I am supposed to be doing. Without giving me any answers what I need is for someone to walk me through the steps to the solution. I need an understanding of what I'm trying to solve here.

mitch_jacky said:

\begin{pmatrix}
\alpha & \beta \\

Thanks a lot everyone!

What does it MEAN for two algebraic structures to be isomorphic? (That is, there is a formal definition of isomorphism, and I am asking you what that is.) Then you need to show that all the parts of the definition hold true.

RGV

Okay, so an isomorphism is a bijectivity from one structure to another which preserves the characteristics of the structures. So if quaternions possesses addition, scalar and quaternion multiplication I must show that this structure is isomorphic to the addition, scalar, and matrix multiplication of matrix algebra?

mitch_jacky said:
Okay, so an isomorphism is a bijectivity from one structure to another which preserves the characteristics of the structures. So if quaternions possesses addition, scalar and quaternion multiplication I must show that this structure is isomorphic to the addition, scalar, and matrix multiplication of matrix algebra?

Well, what do YOU think?

RGV

You know, I think that's pretty much what I am being asked to show. I appreciate your insights! So basically (and please excuse the poor notation, I'm on my phone):

(H,\otimes,°,\oplus, =)~(M, ×, •, +, =)

mitch_jacky said:
You know, I think that's pretty much what I am being asked to show. I appreciate your insights! So basically (and please excuse the poor notation, I'm on my phone):

(H,\otimes,°,\oplus, =)~(M, ×, •, +, =)

I guess so, depending on exactly what the symbols mean; anyway, if q1 ⇔ A1 and q2 ⇔ A2, you need q1+q2 ⇔ A1+A2, q1*q2 ⇔ A1.A2 (matrix product) and, for scalar c, cq1 ⇔ cA1, etc.

RGV

Wow, it isn't wizard math after all. Thanks man!

1. What is the definition of isomorphism?

An isomorphism is a mathematical concept that describes a one-to-one correspondence between two structures or systems. In other words, if two structures are isomorphic, they have the same underlying mathematical properties and can be transformed into each other without losing any information.

2. How is the algebra of quaternions defined?

The algebra of quaternions is a non-commutative algebra that extends the properties of complex numbers. It is defined as a set of numbers of the form a + bi + cj + dk, where a, b, c, and d are real numbers and i, j, and k are imaginary units that satisfy the rules: i² = j² = k² = ijk = -1.

3. What is the algebra of matrices?

The algebra of matrices is a mathematical structure that describes the manipulation of matrices through operations such as addition, subtraction, and multiplication. It involves a set of elements arranged in rows and columns and follows specific rules for performing operations.

4. How are quaternions and matrices related?

The quaternion algebra and the matrix algebra are isomorphic, which means that they have the same underlying mathematical structure. This means that there is a one-to-one correspondence between the two algebras, and they can be transformed into each other without losing any information.

5. What are the benefits of understanding the isomorphism between quaternions and matrices?

Understanding the isomorphism between quaternions and matrices allows for the application of matrix operations to quaternions and vice versa. This is especially useful in fields such as computer graphics, robotics, and physics, where quaternion operations are used to represent rotations and orientations in three-dimensional space.