Showing that an element is a unit in a ring

Homework Statement

Let ##S=\{a+bi+cj+dk \mid a,b,c,d \in \mathbb{Z}\}## be the ring of integral Hamiltonian quaternions, where multiplication is defined using the same rules as in ##\mathbb{H}##, the ring of real Hamiltonian quaternions. Define a function $$N:S\to\mathbb{Z}, N(a+bi+cj+dk)=a^2+b^2+c^2+d^2.$$

Show that if ##N(\alpha)=1##, then ##\alpha## is a unit

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So suppose we know that ##N(\alpha) = \alpha\bar{\alpha}##, where the bar is the conjugate of the quaternion. If ##N(\alpha)=1##, then ##\alpha\bar{\alpha} = 1##. So to show that ##\alpha## is a unit, all I need to show is the other direction, that ##\bar{\alpha}\alpha=1##. How can I do this? In groups one implies the other since we have inverses, but this is not the case with rings.

Answers and Replies

If you already know the inverse, show that it is in ##S## and that it actually is the inverse.

If you already know the inverse, show that it is in ##S## and that it actually is the inverse.
Well all I know is that ##\alpha\bar{\alpha} = 1##. Clearly ##\bar{\alpha}\in S##, so all I need to show that ##\bar{\alpha}\alpha = 1##. But I don't see how to get that

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Well all I know is that ##\alpha\bar{\alpha} = 1##. Clearly ##\bar{\alpha}\in S##, so all I need to show that ##\bar{\alpha}\alpha = 1##. But I don't see how to get that
If ##\alpha=a+bi+cj+dk## and you define ##\bar{\alpha}=a-bi-cj-dk## so that ##\alpha \bar \alpha=a^2+b^2+c^2+d^2##, doesn't that make ##\bar \alpha \alpha=a^2+(-b)^2+(-c)^2+(-d)^2##?

Likes Mr Davis 97