How Is the Derivative of 1/x^2 Calculated Using the Definition of Derivative?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
antinerd
Messages
41
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Find the derivative using the Definition of the Derivative:

f(x) = 1 / x^2

Homework Equations



The Definition:

f`(a) = lim h->0 [f(a+h) - f(a)] / h

The Attempt at a Solution



This is what I did:

f`(a) = lim h->0 [tex](1/(x+h)^{2}) - 1/x^{2}) / (h)[/tex]

f`(a) = lim h->0 [tex][((x^{2}) - 1 (x^{2} + 2xh + h^{2})) / x^{2}(x^{2} + 2xh + h^{2})] / h[/tex]

f`(a) = lim h->0 [tex](2x + h) / (x^{4} + 2x^{3}h + x^{2}h^{2})[/tex]

and finally

f`(a) = lim h->0 [tex]2 / x^{3}[/tex]

So I got that as the derivative, and if I did it correctly it should be right. Did I use the definition properly?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
lol nevermind I am a retard i figured it out... sigh so much typing for nothing
 
antinerd said:
f`(a) = lim h->0 [tex](2x + h) / (x^{4} + 2x^{3}h + x^{2}h^{2})[/tex]

Should be

[tex]f'(a) = \lim_{h \to 0} \frac{-(2x + h)}{(x^{4} + 2x^{3}h + x^{2}h^{2})}[/tex]

Also when you get to the final answer [itex]\frac{-2}{x^3}[/itex] you already took the limit so the answer is just:

[tex]f'(a) = \frac{-2}{x^3}[/tex]

Because:
[tex]f'(a) = \lim_{h \to 0} \frac{-(2x + 0)}{(x^{4} + 2x^{3}*0 + x^{2}*0^{2})}[/tex]
[tex]f'(a) = \frac{-2x}{x^{4}}[/tex]
 
Last edited: