How Is Thermodynamic Temperature Calculated for a Gas at the Triple Point?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
stockill92
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hello, new to these forums

I'm trying to complete a basic thermodynamics problem, calculating the thermodynamic temperature of a gas immersed in water at triple point.

The problem begins with a table of pressures at varying temperatures of a gas under pressure P, and pressure P(tp) - triple point pressure.

wABiZ38.png


Now, I know the following equation;

T=LIMPTP→0P/PTP * 273.16​

So I have calculated the average value of P/PTP as 1.53555

But I also have access to a solution to this problem, and in the solution an extra step is also taken:

dpQQSse.png


I don't understand the source of the 2.5 * avg change between P and P(tp). Where has this come from? Why is it necessary?

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand either, but rather than trying to do so, I've used a more straightforward method. I evaluated P/Ptp to 5 decimal places for each of the five pairs of readings. It was then clear that the ratio increased by almost the same increment for each 250 mmHg decrement in Ptp. Hence naïve extrapolation of P/Ptp to zero pressure is very straightforward.