How is Weyl Tensor associated with tidal force ?

In summary, it appears that tidal forces are due to the Weyl tensor and the Raychaudhuri equation describes how they are measured.
yicong2011
How is Weyl Tensor associated with tidal force?

I checked my book, the acceleration in tidal effect can be expressed as:

ac=-RabdcZawbZd

Note: Za is the tangent of geodesics, wb is the separation vector

I cannot see from this equation how Weyl Tensor affects tidal force.

It is said that in tidal effect Weyl Tensor contributes to distort the shape of the body without changing its volume? Why can Weyl Tensor affect like this?

Does it (changing the shape without changing the volume) result from traceless property of Weyl tensor? [This is my bold guess... :)]

Thanks...

Physics news on Phys.org
The decomposition of the Riemann might help. http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Ricci_decomposition&oldid=386393911, for example. Or consult your textbook, the Wiki has a slightly different formulae and defintions than Wald does, I haven't taken the effort to confirm that everything "matches up".

The test case I'd imagine is being near a massive body in a vacuum region of space-time, so you know that the Ricci and its trace R is zero (because you're in a vacuum), but you also know that the tidal forces are non-zero (because your'e near a massive body).

Using the Wiki formulae, we conclude that since R and R_ab are 0, S_ab is 0. This leads to the conclusion that E_abcd and S_abcd are zero. Using Wald's formulae I get the same conclusion even though the details appear slightly different at a casual glance.

But, we know the Riemann isn't zero, because we do measure the tidal forces. So, we conclude that the tidal forces must be due to the Weyl part, because all the other parts in the decomposition of the Riemann are zero.

pervect said:
The decomposition of the Riemann might help. http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Ricci_decomposition&oldid=386393911, for example. Or consult your textbook, the Wiki has a slightly different formulae and defintions than Wald does, I haven't taken the effort to confirm that everything "matches up".

The test case I'd imagine is being near a massive body in a vacuum region of space-time, so you know that the Ricci and its trace R is zero (because you're in a vacuum), but you also know that the tidal forces are non-zero (because your'e near a massive body).

Using the Wiki formulae, we conclude that since R and R_ab are 0, S_ab is 0. This leads to the conclusion that E_abcd and S_abcd are zero. Using Wald's formulae I get the same conclusion even though the details appear slightly different at a casual glance.

But, we know the Riemann isn't zero, because we do measure the tidal forces. So, we conclude that the tidal forces must be due to the Weyl part, because all the other parts in the decomposition of the Riemann are zero.

Thanks.

But I am still puzzled at

Why Weyl Tensor can change the shape of the body without changing its volume and why Ricci can change the volume? I have read John Baez's tutorial, yet still puzzled...

Some explanation is given here http://arxiv.org/abs/1012.4869

It appears that it may describe tidal forces only for spatially separated observers.

Baez and Bunn give their mathematical details here http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/einstein/node10.html

Eq 6 is the geodesic deviation equation. Immediately after that, they define the rate of volume change.

It appears that they don't define geodesic deviation to be the same thing as tidal forces, whereas most others do.

So maybe:
(i) in general Riemann describes geodesic deviation
(ii) in some circumstances Weyl describes geodesic deviation of some spatially separated particles http://arxiv.org/abs/1012.4869
(iii) Weyl describes Baez and Bunn's definition of tidal forces for small round objects, which is not geodesic deviation

?

Last edited:

1. What is the Weyl Tensor?

The Weyl Tensor is a mathematical concept in general relativity that describes the curvature of spacetime. It represents the part of the curvature that is not associated with the presence of matter or energy, but rather with gravitational waves and tidal forces.

2. How is the Weyl Tensor calculated?

The Weyl Tensor is calculated using the Riemann curvature tensor, which describes the overall curvature of spacetime. The Weyl Tensor is the part of the Riemann tensor that is left after removing the parts associated with matter and energy, such as the Ricci tensor and the scalar curvature.

3. What is the physical significance of the Weyl Tensor?

The Weyl Tensor represents the tidal forces that are experienced by objects in a gravitational field. These forces are responsible for the stretching and squeezing of objects in different directions, and play a crucial role in phenomena such as black holes and gravitational lensing.

4. How is the Weyl Tensor related to the tidal force?

The Weyl Tensor is directly related to the tidal force through the equations of general relativity. The Weyl Tensor describes the tidal forces that are experienced by objects, while the tidal force itself is a measure of the difference in the gravitational pull on different parts of an object.

5. Can the Weyl Tensor be used to study the behavior of space and time?

Yes, the Weyl Tensor is an important tool for studying the curvature of spacetime and the behavior of objects in a gravitational field. It can be used to study the evolution of the universe, the formation of black holes, and other phenomena that are influenced by the curvature of spacetime.