1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How large is the normal force? (applying newtons laws phys )

1. Sep 25, 2009 #1
    how large is the normal force? (applying newtons laws phys 1111)

A 23 kg child goes down a straight slide inclined 38 degrees above horizontal. The child is acted on by his weight, the normal force from the slide, kinetic friction, and a horizontal rope exerting a 30 N force as shown in the figure.

How large is the normal force of the slide on the child?
    Express your answer using two significant figures.

attachment below***

Attached Files:

• 6666.jpg
      6666.jpg
      File size:
      10.5 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi natty210! :wink:

Since there is (obviously!) no acceleration perpendicular to the slide, good ol' Newton's second law means that the sum of the components, in that direction, of all the forces must be zero.

Show us what you get. :smile:

4. Sep 26, 2009 #3
    Re: how large is the normal force? (applying newtons laws phys 1111)

Might I chime in with a quick question about this problem? The normal force obviously provides an equal and opposite force to the forces pointing down perpendicular to the slide (whatever those may be, natty210). This would create a net force of 0 (equivalent to a pencil resting on a desk). However, the horizontal rope has a component that is upwards perpendicular to the slide (equivalent to pulling on a rope attached to my pencil that is angled a bit - this causes my pencil to rise). What causes the child to stay on the slide?

5. Sep 26, 2009 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi TwoTruths! :smile:

Because the weight of the child is (I hope! :rolleyes:) more than enough to balance that …

the normal force will be reduced, but not enough for the child to lose contact.

(This is similar to the question of whether a car will lose contact with a roller-coaster …the other forces, less the acceleration, must be enough to keep the normal force greater than zero)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook